1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coaxial Digital Cord or RCA ?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Craig_Nike, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My friend has a Sony DVP 735 & STRDB 1070 and he has the audio linked up via a standard RCA cord via the Digital Coaxial output/input..

Now obviously this is not the preffered option, but I was wondering how much he is losing via this connection.

I have listened to the system and it sounds great.
    How much better is the sound from a digital cable 1%, 10%, 50%, 100% ?

What exactly is the phsyical difference is between a proper digital coxial and a standard CRA plug ?

Thanks for you help.

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That connection has a much higher frequency, and is 75 ohms, so I would assume the difference is big, I never tried a normal cable there...

3. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Lowrider - I understand that an RCA is not as good as a coaxial digital cable, but if I am to convince my friend I need some stats/facts.

You say coaxial digital is 75ohms - what is a standard RCA ?

You also say you haven't heard an RCA in the digital port, but could you give me an educated guess ?

Is it 1% or 2% difference or more like 50% or double better thanmks RCA ?

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will quote this from another forum, even though the question there was the other way around...

"We have been unable to find a 75 Ohm digital interconnect which was able to work as a dedicated analog interconnect. I assume this is down to the fact that a coaxial cable, such as a digital cable, is designed for trasnmitting very high frequencies an no current whilst an analog interconnect is made to transport a NF signal whilst screening everything above 30kHz from the outside.

Close but not equal."

Hope it will help...

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    IMHO you will not hear much difference between RCA (50Ohm) and a digital coax (75Ohm) for DD and DTS due to the compression applied, however when you listen to PCM (Cd-Audio), too, it can make a difference.
    I tried a normal RCA against a digital coax at my dealer and found it superior, much more detailed and clearer and therefore well worth the investment.

If you or your friend are handy with the soldering iron you could make up one yourself, using antenna/SAT cable (as well 75Ohm) and the matching connectors.

6. Craig_Nike

Craig_Nike

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Reiner, nicely explained as usual.
    I lost some money though - I thought there'd be a bigger difference !