Coaxial cable & interference problem?

blobster

Just about to complete cable run inside mini trunking sunk in the wall when I spoke to a friend who is an electrician.......he said it was not a good idea to run a 240v cable feeding a wall socket in the same chase as a coaxial cable to the wall hung TV........is this correct and if so how far apart should the cables be? They have to meet at some point so how critical is this if at all?
:confused:

Gadgetcity

Novice Member
Just about to complete cable run inside mini trunking sunk in the wall when I spoke to a friend who is an electrician.......he said it was not a good idea to run a 240v cable feeding a wall socket in the same chase as a coaxial cable to the wall hung TV........is this correct and if so how far apart should the cables be? They have to meet at some point so how critical is this if at all?
:confused:

There is no minimum seperation distance. It depends on how long the coaxial cable is. If it is too long then it will pickup stuff anyway. The biggest problem is when something switches on and off (heating pump, light switch, kettle, fridge compressor). If the induced interference is large enough it will cause the data to be corrupt. This in turn can cause an audio dropout which can be a second or so while the TV/Amp re-syncs.

Hope that helps

Try and keep them apart and keep them at right angles where possible. I found I can run a few feet in parallel with decent cable and no problems, but at 5 metres plus you will be asking for trouble.

My long digital coaxial cable suffered too much and after 6 months I replaced it with optical. This cable CANNOT be troubled by mains interference :D

blobster

There is no minimum seperation distance. It depends on how long the coaxial cable is. If it is too long then it will pickup stuff anyway. The biggest problem is when something switches on and off (heating pump, light switch, kettle, fridge compressor). If the induced interference is large enough it will cause the data to be corrupt. This in turn can cause an audio dropout which can be a second or so while the TV/Amp re-syncs.

Hope that helps

Try and keep them apart and keep them at right angles where possible. I found I can run a few feet in parallel with decent cable and no problems, but at 5 metres plus you will be asking for trouble.

My long digital coaxial cable suffered too much and after 6 months I replaced it with optical. This cable CANNOT be troubled by mains interference :D

Thanks for the info.......have decided to run the 240v cable in a seperate trunking away from the HDMI/Scart/Coaxial cables.:thumbsup:

Gadgetcity

Novice Member
Thanks for the info.......have decided to run the 240v cable in a seperate trunking away from the HDMI/Scart/Coaxial cables.:thumbsup:

Scart, definately, if you run that parallel with the mains cable then the picture can end up with a "wobble" - yuk!

Good luck :D

Gadgetcity

Novice Member
Because he once told me the Moon was made of cheese........and I believed him!!

:D

You mean it's not? You learn something on this forum every day! :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom