Coaxial 5.1 on HD

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Fejinwales, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Fejinwales

Fejinwales
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I am due to have HD installed on Thursday, with much dread as a matter of fact after reading the problems some are having), I intend to use the coaxial connection from the HD box to my Cable/sat Coax In on my Onkyo 606. I have been in a friends house to familiarize myself with the menu but am unable to see a specific setting to enable the coaxial output to 'dolby digital', while there is such a setting for the optical out.

Please can anyone tell me if there is such a setting or does the setting for the optical out send a 5.1 signal through the coaxial? Maybe it is always active, OI would, like to know before the installation so I can connect it all up while the engineer is there to test everything.

thanks, hope someone can advise.

2. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    There is an optical output from the Sky HD box but not a co-ax. You could use the HDMI out if your amplifier has the necessary input

3. dwhite

dwhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,805
    961 - There is a coax output on the new boxes (pace, samsung and amstrad), HDMI is stereo only for SkyHD, thats why people connect via optical (or coax) to their amps even if they have HDMI audio decoding, as 5.1 is only available from optical and coax.

The software (i.e. the title of the setting) has not been updated to reflect this, but the optical output setting does apply to the coax output as well. So whatever you set for optical output applies to coax output as well.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  4. reddevil63

reddevil63

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +851
    I can vouch for that as that is what I am using on a Samsung box.

5. ahaydock

ahaydock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I'm also getting HD this week. I use to have a decent Coax Cable but cannot find it :suicide:

I see play have this one: Play.com (UK) : SLx Gold Coax Plug To Plug Interconnect 1.5 Metres : Electronics - Free Delivery

Is there a lot of difference in terms of Coax Cables or would that be suitable? I am one of those people with the likes of HDMI and Optical that wont spend out, as at the end of the day its 1 and 0's (thats my opinion anyway) but not sure whether its the same on Coax.

Oh and sorry for the Hijack.

6. marky2027

marky2027

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry to hijack this thread slightly but I'm thinking about upgrading to HD. Can you get 5.1 via co-ax cable from HD box to my Sony DAV-DZ230?

7. neilos100

neilos100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,

That,s an aerial cable shown in the link. What you need is an digital audio coax cable; something like this.... 1.5m Digital Audio Coaxial Cable - Phono Only £3.91 at TVCables
    And yes, generally speaking with digital, what you put in is what you get out so spending loads on an expensive cable is not necessary unless you want a very long run.

Neil

8. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
  9. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,830
    Neilos' cable is fine for coax audio.

10. ahaydock

ahaydock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    Thanks guys- yes I see now its the wrong one - sorry I didnt check. Believe it or not I know there is a difference - just wish I could find the one I bought a few years back :thumbsup:

11. logiciel

logiciel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,775
    Any local shop should have a cable for this for a pound or two.

12. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    I am like you, I paid £6 for an HDMI lead at Asda today just because I needed it in a hurry.

I usually buy all my leads off Ebay or Amazon - Coax, Phono, HDMI & optical. All have worked fine.

Yes, Coax is digital.

13. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Just shows my Thomson box is old and sad:mad:

14. GasDad

GasDad
    Remembered (1964-2012)

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +758
    Yes - according to the specs on amazon anyway. (You could alternatively use optical instead for identical results)

15. Fejinwales

Fejinwales
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Dwhite - thanks for the info on the coaxial. Have decided when they come to install it to ask for a Samsung or pace box, if no go then no install I'm afraid. As far as I am concerned if I am paying for it I get to choose.

I have taken the advice of many knowledgeable people on AVF and not spent a fortune on cables and so far at least on my DVD everything is fine, the coaxial I bought was this one:

[​IMG] Fisual Digital Coaxial Cable - 1.5m - Pro Install: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo _

Assuming I do have HD fitted (depending on the box I am offered) I will let you know how it turns out.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  16. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Don't think it quite works like that. It depends on what the engineer has on his van. If he has Samsung or Pace no doubt you'll be ok. If not, and you refuse what is offered, you may end up with a charge. See Sky t & c

If you are determined to have a particular make of box, either arrange it with Sky first or buy your own box from an independent supplier

But, to be honest, I really wouldn't bother about it. They are all guaranteed for a year and I'm yet to be convinced there's all that much differnce in performance

More difference in performance if you treat the engineer to a cup of tea and get him to do the job right, rather than putting his back up if he doesn't have the right make of box on his van!

17. Delvey

Delvey
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,924
    agreed, plus there seems to be different issues with different makes. You paid for a HD+ box, not a samsung or pace HD+ box

18. Fejinwales

Fejinwales
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi 961 and Delvey.

I had no doubt when deciding on this action that Sky, with their convoluted t&c's would try to get money out of me but I wouldn't have paid it in any case. I did actually phone up on the day before to let them now of my intention regarding this, that I was going to ask the engineer the question when he phoned early in the morning to confirm his installations, before he left to do any of them. I was going to stop him coming at all. Incredibly I was not told that I would be charged, I was in fact told nothing except that I had 30 days with in which to cancel the contract from the day of installation in any case so I might as well try it. But I assumed that would leave me with the installation fee to pay.

As it turned out, when the engineer rang and I asked him what boxes he carried, he said 'the new Thompson boxes' I said politely to him not to turn up then as I did not want one, and he said 'hang on a minute' and after a pause said 'got a Samsung'...after which we got on just fine.

I realize that I am paying for (as advertised) a Sky HD+ Box, but my argument is still the same, if I pay I believe I have the right to choose, the engineer agreed thankfully though Sky will try to give you what they want.

I have never accepted their options, as with the old Sky Digiboxes I joined twice and had a Pace and Panasonic when both times he tried to give me an Amstrad. perhaps I have been lucky to have understanding engineers each time. I any event I have HD now and so far I happy with it.

....and the coaxial lead? the question of which I began this thread, works perfectly in Dolby D. thanks for your advice here, it was spot on.

19. dgarp

dgarp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi
    can a optical cable be connected straight from the samsung hd box to a tv with optical input???

20. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    Yes, for sound if the TV optical is an input, more usually its an output.

21. dgarp

dgarp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers bro R1 riders of the world unite raaaaaaaaarrrr

22. 961

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +667
    Glad it worked out....so much depends on the engineer, some of the sub contracted guys are operating on a shoe string and can be difficult

Again, I've always been a Pace guy, but I see some of the latest Pace boxes are being recalled. I've never been a Thomson fan, but my current Thomson box has never missed a beat and is well old. As for Amstrad, I've managed to steer clear so far:devil:

One word of advice for all with hd boxes. Make sure they are WELL ventilated. I'm convinced this is a major factor. Mine is on kids rubber pencil erasers one inch off the deck, with two inches clear above it and a couple of inches all round. For those who ain't been inside there is a cooling extract fan on the right hand side looking from the front so don't stick it up against a cabinet wall

23. William YZF-R1

William YZF-R1
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +536
    :smashin:

24. tigertim

tigertim
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But apart from the actual plugs used ( phono versus TV style co-ax ) who can state what the actual difference is between "TV" coax cable and "DIGITAL" co-ax?