• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Coax wall sockets

Chutalotr

Standard Member
Hi

The management company in my Mother-in-laws flat have installed a new ariel, but kept the existing wiring.

The picture quality is poor on the existing channels but the digital channels is very variable and sometimes non existant. There is a box in the attic with a co-ax feed - there are two 'drop' cables one of which goes to my mother-in-law's flat and the other to the flat downstairs. The co-ax cable then goes to the attic above the neighbouring flat which is the last one on the circuit. The reception in the flat downstairs is good. I understand that the last flat in the run had some plastering done and they do not know where the socket is.

I propose to disconnect the onward feed - since this is not used and we don't know whether the cable is shorted out or not. I would like to replace the wall socket since it is very ancient - I am unsure what type to get. The existing socket has two outlets and some ancient electronics so I was wondering what sort of socket to purchase - can someone please advise me.

Thanks in Anticipation

Harold

grahamlthompson

In memoriam
- I am unsure what type to get. The existing socket has two outlets and some ancient electronics so I was wondering what sort of socket to purchase - can someone please advise me.

Thanks in Anticipation

Harold

The ancient electronics is probably just a series capacitor. These are used to prevent transfer of potentially dangerous voltages when a single aerial is distributed to multiple locations that may be on a differing mains supply phases. Just make sure you buy an isolated fully screened type wall outlet.

The second outlet is probably for a retun cable, if so it should have a second outlet in another room most likely a bedroom. It's used to pass the signal onto a second TV

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom