1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coax vs Optical

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by neal666, Feb 27, 2005.

1. neal666

neal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok probably been debated here before but i going to start upgrading my interconnects and want to know which i should use where ever possible..... i know its probably going to come down to personal preference but which performs the best????

Couple of other things ?
    How would a Optical Cable compare to the likes of a `Mark Grant` Digital Coax?

Is there a Difference (would you notice) Between a £10 Optical Cable and a £50 Optical Cable or are you just paying for names?

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    It has been debated many times.
    I can't tell the difference between Nordost Glass and El Cheapo optical.
    Some say Coax is better for short runs and optical for longer runs. Personally I can't tell.
    I can tell the difference between some Coax and optical. Coax tends to sound a little more 'real and musical'
    Mark grants cables are very good.
    Use which ever suits you best.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,032
    I cannot tell them apart. Whilst I'm sure there are theoretical arguments either way (and some who believe in them so much as to get all anally-retentive on the subject) the real proof is in the listening. And my listening tells me to use whichever is to hand and/or for which there is a convenient empty socket.

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Purists would argue that optical can suffer from "jitter".

Another set of purists would argue that co-ax can suffer from the effects of a direct DC connection between the cable grounds.

However, I agree with Nigel. No discernable difference. Use whatever you have spare. If you have to buy, buy optical, because it's cheaper. Cheap optical cables work very well.