1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coax vs Optical

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by freeranger, Oct 25, 2004.

1. freeranger

freeranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Given the choice for a DVD player, which is deemed "better" - coaxial or Optical?
    The length needs to be around 3m

thanks.

2. dj_johnnyg

dj_johnnyg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Personally I can't tell the difference!

I asked this question myself in my local hi-fi shop, and they said that coax is the better connection as the signal is kept electrical.

For an optical output, the signal is converted from an elkectric signal into an optical one, and then back to electrical, whereas the coax signal has no conversion.

Hope that makes sense.

Too early on a monday

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    dj_johnnyg is correct in what he says about the conversions required for an optical lead, but as he also says in real life most people wont hear any difference between them.
    So the general rule is that use coax for short runs and if a long cable over say 5m is required then optical is less likely to pick up interference or loose signal over the length.

Mark.

4. freeranger

freeranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, much appreciated.

5. stuartsjg

stuartsjg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you should note that no "conversion" takes place in making electrical into optical or the other way round.

Some DVD players that have both outputs have an LED wired to the same output pins on the DAC, the coax will have a resistor to make it 75ohm and absorb reflection, the LED will have a current limiting resistor to stop it blowing.

The signals are identical.

Optical provides electrical isolation, Electrical doesent.
    I think its best to have everything electrically connected to stop voltage diffirences occurring.
    Normally cant hear any diffirence though.