Coax or Optical

towerblocks

Standard Member
Hi

I'm going to buy my first surround system tomorrow, A logitech Z-5500, I will be using it mostly for PS3, XBOX360, DVDPlayer, I know you have to buy a seprate cable, I was thinking of http://www.ebuyer.com/product/74053, But i'm wondering if there would be any difference in using a optical cable, Also i have a question for people that own a Z-5500, Does it have a equalizer so i can turn the bass all the way down.

Thanks.

Badger0-0

There is extremely little, if any at all difference between the two, as both are digital. It may be worth considering that coax is generally a bit more sturdy, but it's no big deal.

IAN P

Novice Member
The only difference,as Badger points out,is the sturdiness of the cable,and also you won't go blind looking down the end of a co-ax lead either when it's plugged in:D

towerblocks

Standard Member
Cheers guys, That cable has been discontinued it seems, So anyone recommend me a cable from the the net, Has to be 3m or more, I've ordered the Z-5500 and a surge protecter.

Badger0-0

If you have any old phono to phono of the required length lying about, I'd give it a whirl first.
You might like it and save yourself a few quid. I really wouldn't pay much for a digital cable, as I bet you can't tell any difference.

towerblocks

Standard Member
If you have any old phono to phono of the required length lying about, I'd give it a whirl first.
You might like it and save yourself a few quid. I really wouldn't pay much for a digital cable, as I bet you can't tell any difference.
I ordered one of these http://www.digibuys.co.uk/Digital-Coax-Coaxial-Cable-SPDIF-p-179.html 5meter one for £6.50 including P&P, I didn't see the point in spending £15 to £30 for one has there will most likely won't be any diffrence.

pjclark1

Novice Member
You just wasted £6
As previously stated any old phono cable would work.

Optical cables can be had from cableuniverse.co.uk for £1

walker01

Standard Member
Is there such thing as a digital optical to digital coaxial lead.
i need one to go from the back of my ps3 (digital optical) to the back of my phillips home home cinema system (coaxial)

:lease:i need your help:lease:

walker01

Standard Member
thats a converter i just wated the lead, but if a conveters the only way i can connect them ill have to buy that or a new tv, its a hard decision lol
thanks for helping

Badger0-0

You may well be able to get a lead, but it'll still have to have some form of converter :)

towerblocks

Standard Member
Ok, I got my z-5500 today, Swapped the fuse for a new one, Control centre switched on fine, Now i can't test the system till i get my coxial cable, Which i hoped would have arrived this morning, I've just now noticed the PS3 doesn't have coaxial input, Only a optical, So looks like me oredering a optical cable now, The coaxial one i can use for my DVDplayer, But i also noticed there is no coaxial or optical input on the 360, So how do i connect it up to that?

Badger0-0

Probably through stereo connections (red and white phonos/RCAs) at a guess.

MarkTaylor

Novice Member
The 360 has the optical connection mounted on the video cable connector rather than on the 360 itself.

MarkTaylor

Novice Member
The answer remains the same though, check the box, from memory it ships with a short stub adapter that carries the optical connection and plugs in where the normal video cable would.

CJPowers81

But i have mine connected up through HDMI.
If you have an Elite 360 and you want the sound coming from your amp rather than your TV you need to connect that adaptor thing you got with your elite to your amp using either the optical or the analogue.

I have an elite but if you haven't I'm not entirely sure you get the adaptor with the premium/core consoles. Are the other 360's supplied with these adaptors ?

I know the older none HDMI enabled 360 consoles used to have the optical output on the component cable, so you could go that way.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom