1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coax OR Optic?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steroid, Oct 3, 2001.

1. steroid

steroid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be using my DVD player(JVC XVS-42) to connect to my Yamaha Rx-V620 to play both DVD and CD's. What should I choose optical or Coax. I used to think that optical was far better because of -well light transmission- but I see that many people have experienced otherwise. Your views please.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you go coax make sure it's a digital one, means 75Ohm impedance. Else PCM (CD-Audio) will not sound so good.

No more commments on the coax vs. optical debate - IMHO not much difference, try out yourself to make a final judgment.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a very technical comparison the other day, aparently the cause to audible diferences between digital cables is the jitter generated by "bits" bouncing from the cable walls...

Their conclusion: that problem is resolved with DD and DTS material because of all the processing it gets, so any reasonable cable will do, optical or coaxial. With PCM is a different ball game, the coaxial will sound better, and there will be better and worst coaxial cables...

So if you listen to CDs, get a good coaxial cable, otherwise it wont make much difference.