Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Coax OR Optic?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by steroid, Oct 3, 2001.

1. steroid

steroid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I will be using my DVD player(JVC XVS-42) to connect to my Yamaha Rx-V620 to play both DVD and CD's. What should I choose optical or Coax. I used to think that optical was far better because of -well light transmission- but I see that many people have experienced otherwise. Your views please.

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If you go coax make sure it's a digital one, means 75Ohm impedance. Else PCM (CD-Audio) will not sound so good.

No more commments on the coax vs. optical debate - IMHO not much difference, try out yourself to make a final judgment.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a very technical comparison the other day, aparently the cause to audible diferences between digital cables is the jitter generated by "bits" bouncing from the cable walls...

Their conclusion: that problem is resolved with DD and DTS material because of all the processing it gets, so any reasonable cable will do, optical or coaxial. With PCM is a different ball game, the coaxial will sound better, and there will be better and worst coaxial cables...

So if you listen to CDs, get a good coaxial cable, otherwise it wont make much difference.