1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

coax or anolouge with 3802+cd73t could not notice any differance

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mick23, Sep 25, 2004.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hi all tried today denon 3802+arcam 73t ,normally use anoluge rca between cd and 3802, but tried using optical cable instead ,to be honest did not notice any differance,

i believe if using anologue this uses the arcams internal dacs, if optical /coax the 3802s dacs,

has anyone noticed benifits either way??

thank you

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    On my equipment the analog connection sounds somewhat "hazy", the digital one is much clearer / more detailed. Only noticable with PCM (CD-Audio) though - and a good recording.

3. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it isn't just your ears then it would suggests there is something limiting the improvement. Possibly the quality of the 3802's amplifiers or the speakers you are using would be possibilities. Also the quality of the cable would become more important with analogue connections.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    I owned a 3802 and always found it fairly poor for music. I was told by others on the forum that the weakest area of the AV receivers is normally the preamp stage and the best way to get an improvement is to get another integrated HiFi amp. This can be fed from the preouts of the 3802 to drive the front L&R speakers on the HiFi amp for DVD's etc and then CDP etc are plugged directly into the HiFi amp.
    I ended up with a 3802, Arcam Alpha 8r, CD73t and loved the sound for both DVD & stereo music.

Mark.

5. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    In my experience if you can't hear any difference then one of the components is limiting it. In this case it won't be the source so that leaves either your amp or speakers (or maybe both?).

i.e. for me the following happened

DV88+ (cd source) > Arcam A32 stereo amp > Quad 12L speakers

RME 9632 soundcard (cd source) > Arcam A32 stereo amp > Quad 12L speakers

sounded exactly the same for both of them. Latter when I upgraded to a poweamp with the above combination...

RME 9632 soundcard (cd source) > Arcam A32 as a preamp > Halo A52 poweramp > Quad 12L

sound far better than the DV88+ which had reached its limits.

CaM