1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coax from SVideo/Composite

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Spy, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    Dear All,

I am looking at buying a DVD player which only has S-Video and Composite outputs.
    Are there leads that will connect this DVD player to a standard Aerial Coax socket on a TV ?

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    No, DVD players do not have an RF connection for connecting to a TV. If you need to do this then you would need to buy an external demodulator to convert the output to RF to connect to the aerial socket of a TV. But if you do this the PQ will be little or even no better than from a VCR.

Mark.

3. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Seperate point - do dvd recorders or devices such as sky digital need to have anything plugged anything into the RF aerial sockets? Its just that I was hoping to have a freeview box and VCR on one "side" of the system and a dvd recorder and sky on the other "side". Thus I was hoping to use the VCR to record freeview (and play VHS tapes through the freeview box into the plasma) and the dvd recorder to record sky channels. Rather than loop RF leads through everything I thought I could get away with having external aerial just plugged into freeview to VCR to screen. (along with scarts etc)

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    noidea,
    Depending on the connections on the boxes & plasma I would suggest you connect it all up as follows:

Aerial direct into Freeview.
    If recording on VCR with its own tuner then connect Freeview RF out to VCR, otherwise this is not required.
    Connect Freeview 'TV' scart to RGB scart on plasma.
    Connect Freeview 'VCR' scart to VCR.
    Connect VCR scart out to plasma (composite signal only available here unless it is an SVHS VCR).

Connect Sky 'TV' out scart to DVD recorders scart input (assuming DVD can record an RGB signal).
    Connect DVD scart output to plasma.

The above is IMHO the best option for getting the best PQ from all sources.
    The plasma will need to have 3 scart inputs, 2 of which will need to be RGB.
    Depending on the inputs & outputs available you may need to change all this around.

HTH,
    Mark.

5. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Thanks Mark
    That is almost exactly what I was hoping would work