1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coax connections

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by nickbat, Apr 21, 2004.

1. nickbat

nickbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have a Philips TV, a VCR, a Nokia Freeview box and a new Compacks DVD-R. I have connected the aerial coax, via two splitters, to the back of the DVD, the VCR and the Freeview box. Everything works fine, except for the fact that the Freeview picture for Sky News, UK History, QVC etc break up badly. BBC channels (like News 24) are fine. If I disconnect the coax from the DVD-R, though, I can get all channels.

Any advice?

Nickbat

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Whenever useing a Freeview STB it should be the first RF connection from the aerial. The box should have an RF passthrough/output that you can then use to connect the RF coax to the VCR etc. Splitting the RF to go to several devices will only result in them all getting a lower signal strength which is why you get the problems with Freeview channels freezing.

Mark.

p.s. Welcome to the forum :smashin:

3. nickbat

nickbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks Mark. A few days ago I did try connecting the Freeview STB first and then on to the DVD-R. The problem I then encountered was the DVD-R could not find the STB output when it went into auto setup mode. It's worth another try, though.

Thanks again,

Nickbat

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    The chances are that a DVD recorder will never see an Freeview box only connected to it via RF as most Freeview boxes do NOT output the channels via RF. The RF is normally only passthrough so you can get the channels on another piece of equipment ie VCR/TV's analogue internal tuners.
    To be able to record Freeview onto a DVD you should connect the STB to the recorder via a scart lead. This will give far better quality as the STB will output an RGB signal via the scart. RF is the lowest quality connection. RGB is almost certainly the best.

Mark.