Coax cable literally falling apart

madunphy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a (directional) coax cable used to connect my DVD digital OUT to my receiver digital IN.

I unplugged the receiver end last night and the connection literally fell apart (its a blue heaven? brand). Is this repairable? I'm not sure how to put the pieces back together, these being

1) the metal outer collar that is bound to the whole cable
2) An inner metal collar that slips inside the other collar
3) a small plastic cylinder that fits into the inner collar
4) a metal spring coil that looks as if it is used to recoil the inner collar from the outer.

Anybody any idea as to how to put all these back together, or will I need a new cable (which I'd rather not).

Thanks

Mike

The spring is the strain relief for the cable. This fits inside the sleeve or main body of the connector that is normally screwed onto the plug part of the assembly. The plastic cylinder is to insulate the signal part (inner pin) of the cable from the outer sleeve of the connector.

The inner collar has me a little confused at the moment though.

A new connector will only cost you £1 upwards from somewhere like maplins and is easy to fit if you have wire cutters and a soldering iron. For details that may help, check out my little thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93524

mylo said:
The spring is the strain relief for the cable. This fits inside the sleeve or main body of the connector that is normally screwed onto the plug part of the assembly. The plastic cylinder is to insulate the signal part (inner pin) of the cable from the outer sleeve of the connector.

The inner collar has me a little confused at the moment though.

A new connector will only cost you £1 upwards from somewhere like maplins and is easy to fit if you have wire cutters and a soldering iron. For details that may help, check out my little thread here: http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93524

Thanks,

Had a closer look at the problem and it appears that the pin has snapped at the receiver end!!! Probably complicating things further, the cable is a nordost blue heaven interconnect (which is a flat cable). So is this a DIY job, or should I get it repaired professionally? or dump the thing (god forbid given the price).

Thanks

Mike

Is it under warranty, might be worth having a chat with the manufacturer.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom