Coax aerial sockets + coax cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by SuperSquash, Sep 13, 2007.

1. SuperSquash

SuperSquash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi guys,

I've got a Panasonic LCD coming in the very near future and I'm trying to get prepared for its arrival. Now that we're getting an LCD, we're moving the TV into the centre of a wall as opposed to in the corner. By doing this, we're moving the TV away from the power and Sky aerial sockets.

When the Sky installer installed my box, he did a proper shoddy job and literally just fed the wire from the LNB down the wall and through, into the decoder. That therefore means that the cables are long enough for the corner of the room but not where we're going to put the new TV.

So my query is regarding proper wall sockets. I'll need a double aerial socket and also a either a dual (if they exist) or two single coax cables for the Sky box. I know Maplin and the like sell the sockets, but I get the feeling I'm losing out a little bit with the signal? I don't really want to chop into the wall either if I can help it.

Will a decent cable/socket configuration really make any difference? I don't want my picture to be more degraded than it needs to be - obviously without spending an arm and a leg anyway!

Thanks

2. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,698
    Best cable for Sat signal is: CT100, H109, WC100
    There is a "shotgun" cable where two cables occupy the same cross section as "normal" cable, but that is usually where you have routing problems. If I were you I'd terminate in a screend wall socket and then run longer lengths around your room to the sky box. I doubt the loss will be significant. If it is you can get amplifiers that also cover the Sat frequencies so you could boost on entry into your room.

http://www/satcure.co.uk is an excellent source of cabling and other info.