1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

co-axial digital decoder

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Pedant, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Pedant

Pedant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently got myself the sony ns355 dvd player. For surround sound this uses co-axial output.

I want to buy a decoder box for this that has integrated amps, but also line out for all channels so that at a future date I can use different amplifiers/speakers. I also don't want to spend too much money ^_^

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Erm... you really need to define "too much money" as this is rather subjective.

Also if you are intending to get an intergrated AVR now but then buy power amps and just use the AVR as decoder/pre-amp you should really not be looking at the cheapest arround as no matter how expensive the power amps you buy are if the decoder/pre amp section of your AVR is rubbish then the end result is still going to be rubbish .

3. Pedant

Pedant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    okay, so what sort of money are we talking, and do you have any links to suitable models. I had a look around but couldn't really find anything - probably due to the fact that I don't really know what I am looking for.

Thanks

4. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    As I say without a definition of "too much money" it is hard - to me that is arround the £500 mark but to others it may be higher or lower.

If you are looking for bargain basement stuff then Richer Sounds is always an option:
    http://ws4.richersounds.com/productlist.php?cda=productlist&sgroup=AVRECEIVERS&sort=price

If you are looking at something a bit better then Denon are great for home movies (but there are better for music). The following lists a few of the ones that Denon make with links to retailers. As you will note I have the Denon AVR2805 and wholy recommend it.
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/search?q=Denon+AVR

5. Pedant

Pedant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So as an example,

looking on the Denon site

ttp://www.denon.co.uk/site/popup/vergleich.php?p=techdat&a=&e=&Pid=146&action=start&ver=&check=1#

the relevant part is, presumably,

Pre-Amplifier Outputs L/C/R/SL/SR/SBL/SBR/Sub

Thanks.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Yes, so at the moment it will act as the decoder, amplifier and video switching and then if/when you purchase seperate power amps you can continue to use the decoder, pre amp and video switching aspect and use the pre-amp outs to connect to the power amps.

7. Pedant

Pedant
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only thing noticed about these was that the high pass for speakers can only be selected as low as 40Hz (I believe). I don't suppose that can be turned off entirely?

Thanks.

8. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I assume you are speaking about the LFE cross over levels - if any speakers are set to Large then they will be sent all frequencies for that channel. Likewise if you set the sub to none then the LFE channel will also be passed to the front L & R. The same goes for the preamp outputs for when you are using power amps.