CMT-MX750NI vTuner issues...?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by dawiseguy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. dawiseguy

dawiseguy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I recently bought a Sony CMT-MX750NI stereo system which uses vTuner to connect to internet radio stations. We have had a wifi radio (Logik) for many years to listen to a Polish station (Polskie Radio Trojka) which connects immediately every time, yet when we try to connect with the Sony, it often comes up with "Can't play". If we go through the Music Services option and choose vTuner, and then go through the country list to Poland and then scroll through to the station, it can connect, but as soon as we switch off the stereo, it will not connect through the preset channel. Searching manually is problematic as it takes a long time - can anyone advise as to what the problem might be? I found the station listed on the vTuner site, which shows it is a WMA stream, which I believe should be fine? I emailed vTuner and am still awaiting a response (if I will actually get one), I can connect to other Polish stations (along with those from other countries) so I don't understand exactly what the problem is.

Thanks,

Jon

2. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Hi

Not sure if this will work, but the vTuner service can sometimes allow you to add your own internet radio stations for some devices, if you know their URLs (requires a specific device login to vTuner). If this is possible for your device, then I've found a couple of URLs for Polskie Radio Trojka for you to try to add to your vTuner service and then set your preset to:
    Trójka
    mms://stream.polskieradio.pl/program3

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. dawiseguy

dawiseguy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Cebolla,

Thanks for tip - but the Sony stereo does not have this option unfortunately...I manually went through the station list and repicked it, adding it to a different preset. Weirdly enough, it works this way...but not sure how long for...! Fingers crossed ;)

Dzienkuje!

4. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +287
    Proszę!

5. BollyDave

BollyDave
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Please see this thread where most customers of Sony's vTuner service are sharing (bad) experiences, across a range of devices, with global scope of impact. The more people contribute to this, the greater the chance someone may take note of a concerted set of complaints.

Please see, and contribute to:
    Vtuner not working - Sony

At +2 weeks most of us now feel this is becoming unacceptable.

There seems to be a pattern of denial and misdirection from Sony's so called support people.
    At best they are inconsistent and uninformed, demonstrated by the fact that customers are still being advised to do factory resets, check their network and perform system updates.
    None of those suggestions will make any difference whatsoever. Don't waste your time.

Some have even been advised that there is a "server problem". I've asked myself how long it takes to resolve a "server problem". In my experience even a total rebuild from scratch does not take 2 weeks to reinstate a service. This begs the question as to what type of server problem this really is. The concensus is that it's more likely to be a licensing issue, if it's a server issue at all.

Sony have not bothered to provide a service status on their Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) Service Status page:
    Sony Entertainment Network - Service Status

Noting that vTuner comes under the banner of SEN (certainly on my device anyway) this conflicts with what some customers are being told by Sony Support. I've certainly been told that maintenance is taking place.

The only reference on Sony's site to the issue is buried within device spec pages, leading to this page, which has not been updated recently, and gives no hint at timeline, nor detail.
    Sony : vTuner network service issue

There's also been suggestion that vTuner is the problem, yet it's strange that we can connect a PC to the service with no problem at all, no matter what region you are in.
    However it does seem odd that despite a number of us contacting vTuner directly about this, no-one has had the courtesy of a response.

Sony are still advertising products referencing the vTuner service as a feature, which some of us feel is bordering on misrepresentation, and in the case of UK customers, may breach the sale of goods act. I don't believe many retailers are aware of the problem either. I've spoken to the company I bought my AV receiver from and they were unaware. They are going to investigate, and hopefully at my suggestion raise this with their contacts within Sony, using their buying power for leverage. Thay at least seem to respect their customer even if Sony does not.

Another thread of thinking is why Sony cannot issue an interim update to their hardware and supporting apps (i.e. Sony Network Audio Remote) to remove the constrictions of SEN, and allow customers to browse internet stations freely.

Finally I'd add that anyone calling Sony Support is more than likely to be pushed towards a team focused on specific types of hardware. This is a pointless exercise given the varying and pointless suggestions they've made. You need to insist on speaking to Customer Relations or suchlike. i.e. a team that is there to handle customer complaints, not technical matters.