1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

C'mon People PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by big ears, Jun 6, 2005.

1. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sony KLV-L23M1 or Phillips 23PF9946

After weeks and weeks of searching and reading numerous magazine reviews etc I think I have narrowed my search down to these two.

Personnally I like the look of both of these but am leaning towards the Sony as I believe it has a better specification although it costs more money.

Could the experts out there confirm which is the better of the two and give me reasons for and against for both of these. Plus if there are any other models I should be considering.

I will be looking to primarily watch TV but also watch numerous dvd's and play the ps2.

I know that these can be purchased via the internet cheaper but I would like to purchase one of these from John Lewis as they are offering a free 5 year guarantee, which I guess is the reason they cost more as the length of the guarantee must be worth something.

I await comments with anticipation.

2. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not found any mention of HDMI or DVI sockets in two of the descriptions i've read about the sony - is this HD Ready, or is that not an issue for you??

Gary

3. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is important to me to buy the best spec I can afford.

The description I found about the Sony reads as follows:

The latest HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) technology with HDCP (High Definition Multimedia Interface with High Definition Copy Protection), which interconnects between digital sources, supporting both uncompressed high definition video and multi-channel digital audio through a single cable. HDMI technology is an enhanced version of DVI-HDTV and is backward compatible with compliant devices.

I'm not quite sure what all this means, possibly you may be able to tell me.

4. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    not seen any reference to that on about three descriptions for the above model sony, only mentions are Component, 2 scarts, s-video.

Seems weird that a key feature ain't mentioned. But if the above paragraph is part of the description then it is at least partly compatible in that it has the right interface, next question would be does the display support 720p/50hz or 1080i/50hz which is what Sky HD broadcasts will be done in.

is this the one: https://www.discountaudiovision.co.uk/detail.asp/sku=KLVL23M1

as all descriptions are similar to this, no mention of HDMI port for some reason

Gary

5. MegaTum

MegaTum
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Currently, no UK specification Sony LCD has an HDMI input (US versions do).

This is about to change with the release of the "S", "V" and "W" ranges although the only information about dates for these are on the Sony press releases (all quote Summer 2005).

6. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This seems to be the model I have been looking at.

Concerning the new Sony range's available late summer (probably August). I visited my local Sony Centre Shop and they showed me details of the new ranges. There is no real difference in the actual specification of the model I am looking at except as MegaTum mentioned they will have HDMI inputs but also Freeview.

I have therefore discounted the new models as I don't wish to buy an LCD with Freeview as I currently have Sky and therefore receive all the channels it offers anyway.

Would I therefore be wise to buy this model or my other preference the Philips 23PF9946?

7. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot to mention where I originally found the specification caption. It was from Digital Home:

www.digitalhome.uk.shopping.com/xPF-Sony_KLV_23M1

If this is not correct then they are leading people up the garden path with the wrong specification and potentially getting people to part with alot of money thinking they were getting something they thought was right but clearly isn't.

8. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it depends on whether you would like to be able to recieve and view Sky HD broadcasts in the near future - if yes, then the Sony above would not be compliant (no HDMI/DVI port)

it's down to you on that choice

Gary

9. ricey

ricey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    when are sky startin hd :lease:

and i thought u could use Component for hd :oops:

10. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i'm not 100% certain about the Component stuff due to no copy protection (HDCP) so assume only DVI/HDMI will be used (but you never know)

I think HD broadcasts are due 2006 or so, but again, who knows 100%

Gary

11. Kilburn

Kilburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I send an enquiry to John Lewis re the 23pf9946 and was told that they are stopping selling that model, and replacing it with the 23pf9956. They don't have stock yet though and told me they are due to receive them in mid June.

Neither the Philips 23pf9946 or the 23pf9956 is HDCP compliant, according to Philips, despite them having a DVI connection.

The main difference between the two models is that the 9956 has Pixel Plus, which appears to improve picture quality for TV images. Because of this, I'm now going to go for the 9956.

I considered the Sony too, but ruled it out because it does not have any PC connectivity, which I need.

12. big ears

big ears

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't realise that John Lewis were going to stop the Philips 23PF9946. I am a bit annoyed about this as I almost purchased this and had lengthy discussions with one of their sales staff who mentioned nothing about this.

I now don't know what to do. I want an LCD for my bedroom no bigger than 23" to watch TV / DVD's and Playstation 2 but do not wish to use it as a PC Monitor as my PC has a good enough monitor anyway. I don't care if the LCD I purchase has the facility for this but I won't be using this function.

Am I now best to wait a while as new models seem to be coming out and therefore I don't want to buy old technology?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.