cmax 1.6 diesel please give info??

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by Ned Senior, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    hellooooo
    one of the neighbours has had to scrap his almera tino due to age, he gets mobility benefit so has ordered a 1600 diesel cmax
    he always sticks me on the insurance so he can go out for a pint with his Mrs or whatever as my car is a 2 seater Renault Wind and no room for more passengers
    Now in the 30 years I have been driving, and throughout my life as son and friend to mechanic/s, I have always been told Fords are she hite and stay away
    Sooooo what do my neighbour and I have in store for us guys please?
    how do they feel to drive? the tino felt like a boat!!! ha
    would be grateful for any comments without hearsay bs please

2. figoagogo

figoagogo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    Most modern Ford's drive very nicely, great for chucking around roundabouts, handle nice. I currently have a 1.8 petrol cmax it's being part ex'd this month, always been nice to drive... Other than that pretty dull to look at and own. The mondeo (diesel), and fiesta 1.25 (petrol) I have owned have all been good cars, my fave was the raspy fiesta 1.25 would have loved a zetec s version bitd.

3. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have one and they're great to drive, very car-like.

For the first 1000 miles they can feel very sluggish as the ECU tries to stop you going over 2000rpm in first gear. I'll be honest and say that it can be a pain pulling out of side roads or onto roundabouts. You can get around it by pulling away with a bit more power. Once past that Ford recommended running in period the car behaves normally. Mine is Titanium spec and rides slightly firmer on it's 17" wheels compared to the Zetec spec car I test drove with 16" wheels but it's still comfy enough.

Like I said at the beginning it handles really well and you forget that you're driving a small MPV. It's well made with no squeaks or rattles and it's quiet and smooth once warmed up.

Around town I get 43mpg including lots of short journeys which aren't ideal for diesels and on a run will get around 60mpg. I know these figures aren't as good as what other cars can achieve but for my driving style, routine and the type of car they're not too bad.

Compared to what he had before I don't think you'll be disappointed!

4. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    Our Fiesta certainly didn't have this ECU restriction you think is fitted to the C-MAX.
    Same engine, I can't see why they'd single the C-MAX out for this. :confused:

5. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Same engine, albeit slightly more powerful in the C-Max, but a 6 speed gearbox with a fairly short 1st gear.

Believe me, I'm not the only one who's noticed it. Quite a few owners from new have reported it and that it's gone once the engine is 'run in'. If you pulled away with a normal ammount of throttle once you hit 2000rpm the power would go. No problems in the other gears.

6. Qactuar

Qactuar
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,260
    Same engine, different turbo attached - well at least that was what it used to be. Now the 1.6 "Tiger" variant of the Duratorq in the Fiesta uses a variable vane turbo, when it used to be a fixed geometry.

If it's actually the same turbo, then the 1.6 Fiesta should remap extremely well ... !

Ford do have a history of "limiter" methods. My old ST170 had a torque limiter that was forced until the engine was at the correct temperature.

7. FZR400RRSP

FZR400RRSP
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,374
    That's one thing, but programming an ECU that limits torque in first gear only until a certain mileage sounds highly unlikely to me.

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Exactly.

The ECU on many engines will limit torque in first and second gears to preserve the 'box,but I don't know of any with a mileage factor.

A lot of engines will feel a bit "tight" until past the first few thousand miles,and maybe that's what's being described.

9. jumborat

jumborat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    However unlikely it sounds to you that's exactly how it was.

No, that's not what's being described. Yes, the engine was tight but it would freely rev in the other 5 gears.

10. Ned Senior

Ned Senior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,166
    flippin nora!!!! its a biggun compared to what I expected!!! was in stock so Friday order Monday delivery... Dougie delighted as he was going stir crazy.... we delire aswell due to not having to cook for more people now that he can shop again haha

11. paulyoung666

paulyoung666
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,841
    and me .....