• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

CM 1 or CM 5 for Rear Speakers?

joe1515

Standard Member
I recently purchased CM9's and the CMC2. I might also upgrade the rear speakers. Should I go with CM1 or CM5's? Are the CM5's overkill for rear channel speakers?

Thanks Joe

Gribbo

Hi - What amp are you using? I have CM5 as fronts with CMC2 but considering buying CM9s and using CM5s as rears. Not sure my amp will get the best out of the CM9s though (rx-v3800) and also wondering if its overkill as my room is only 12ft by 15ft.
I guess the CM1s would be great as rears but if you can stretch to CM5s you might as well go for it!

JamesBaby

The CM1's are more than enough mate. They are good enough for fronts in many situations let alone rears.

I have them as rears and they are wasted doing the job they do. I don't listen to multichannel SACD anymore so it's even less critical. Often thought if I should sell them and drop down a range and use the cash elsewhere such as ISF calibration etc.

:)

joe1515

Standard Member
Hi - What amp are you using? I have CM5 as fronts with CMC2 but considering buying CM9s and using CM5s as rears. Not sure my amp will get the best out of the CM9s though (rx-v3800) and also wondering if its overkill as my room is only 12ft by 15ft.
I guess the CM1s would be great as rears but if you can stretch to CM5s you might as well go for it!

I am just ordered the Arcam AVR 600. I haven't had my system set up yet, I should have it next week.

joe1515

Standard Member
The CM1's are more than enough mate. They are good enough for fronts in many situations let alone rears.

I have them as rears and they are wasted doing the job they do. I don't listen to multichannel SACD anymore so it's even less critical. Often thought if I should sell them and drop down a range and use the cash elsewhere such as ISF calibration etc.

:)

That was my thought the CM5 is just overkill for rears, even in a big room.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom