Clutch pedal sticking occasionally

HMHB

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
My Seat Leon (14 Reg) has just started having issues with the clutch pedal not always returning after pressing. This could be due to a couple of extra factors other than a fault ....
1) I just had an MOT and an oil change. I haven't noticed this issue before
2) I've only done 700 and something miles over the last year so the car has hardly been used - especially over the last 6 months

I went out in the car Friday and after I'd been driving a while noticed the clutch pedal acting a bit strange. At first I thought I'd imagined it but then it kept happening. The pedal would stick down and I had to pump it again to release it.

This morning I decided I need to use the car more so I sat in it and pressed the clutch which went all the way to the floor with no resistance. I had to pull it back up with my hands. For quite some time there was no resistance at all. Then I started the engine and let that warm up and eventually the clutch started getting resistance and although was sticking most times, would come back up again with pumping. Then after a few more minutes it seemed fine.

So I went for a drive and for the first 30 or so miles it was fine. This was a mixture of slow town driving and higher speed. It was only when I got near home that it happened about 3 times again. Each time though, one pump of the pedal was enough to make it right again. For the last mile or so I didn't notice any problems.

My plan at the moment is to take it out as often as possible over the next few days but wondered if anyone on here could offer any opinions please? I've done a search on the internet but I'm a complete nobhead when it comes to car mechanics so nothing I've read actually means anything to me :)

I would suggest that air or condensation ie water has got into the system and/or the seals have gone on either the clutch master or slave cylinder or both. Possibly a small split in a hose. I'd hope the seals and hoses would be OK in a 6 year old car though. Have you checked the level of fluid in the reservoir?
If you can spot a leak anywhere along the path from the clutch fluid reservoir to the gearbox (that the slave cylinder is bolted to) then you have found the issue. Not the trickiest job in the world but I'd imagine you'd want to get a garage to do it. I know I would, my days of crawling around under cars are done for. :)

Last edited:
I'm not exactly sure where the reservoir is, will need to check. Does it share the same fluid as the brake system I wonder?

I can't find any images of a separate clutch fluid reservoir for a Leon so it's possible. But if so it should be compartmentalised so that if one system fails the other can still function. So although there may be a single cap you should be able to distinguish one or more compartments. And the clutch master cylinder should be distinct from the brakes one.

@6yrs old the brake fluid should have been changed at least once in that time,maybe more..

It’s only done just under 18,000 miles in 6 years but I assume it’s the time that matters rather than the mileage?

Every two years for brake fluid. But i’d say the master cylinder has gone.

It’s only done just under 18,000 miles in 6 years but I assume it’s the time that matters rather than the mileage?
Yes, even though the system should be air tight it still can absorb water which reduces the efficiency of the fluid.

Every two years for brake fluid. But i’d say the master cylinder has gone.
I agree. Similar thing happened in an old Peugeot until it completely failed. The clutch pedal stuck to the floor and I couldn't take it out of gear.

My daughter's Ibiza does the same thing in hot weather.

It feels like a mechanical issue rather than the hydraulic system however, as she can release it by engaging neutral and flipping the pedal with her foot so that it comes back up. Never does it when it's cooler, only when it gets above about 25C inside the car.

I took it for a very short drive this afternoon and there was no problem at all. Going to try it again after work tomorrow.

Had similar on a Tiguan recently, changed the master (pedal) cylinder first as this was the cheapest option and it cured it.

Master cylinder was about £65 IIRC.

Last edited:
Is it hydraulic or cable?
A Peugeot I briefly had, the cable was supposed to be secured to the bulkhead behind the pedal, by a grommet/clip. Somehow the clip lost grip on the bulkhead and the clutch wouldn't operate.

I'm assuming it's hydraulic mainly because myself an a neighbour couldn't see anything moving in the engine compartment when operating the pedal. Mind you, you could really do with it on a ramp to be able to see properly.

I'm assuming it's hydraulic as you can buy a clutch master cylinder for it :)

Just a quick update.. It started getting better each drive after I posted this. I was going to nip into the garage with it when it was going wrong but it never did when I was in the vicinity of the garage. It would do it a couple of times and then be OK.

For the last 6 to 8 weeks it’s been fine with no hint of it sticking, so I’m wondering if it was sticking due to lack of use and now I use it at least twice a week it’s OK ?

The next time I have a service though I will mention it.,

I'd be looking at the pivot that the clutch pedal turns on, and seeing if you can get some oil on it, or even a quick squirt of WD-40.
Hard to see a knackered master cylinder improving with time - the seals will either be swollen or split through contamination, and that doesn't get better.

Oh, and a quick 🙁 for @IronGiant - post#2 - join the club - I once replaced the clutch slave cylinder on my MkII Consul lying on my back - in a puddle, without a pair of circlip pliers - never again :thumbsdow.

I'm back again, just refreshing myself with all the comments and advice on this thread as the clutch has been OK for some time now but since the wetter and slightly colder weather has started taking time to come back up again - not every gear change and not every journey.

I still haven't had the brake fluid changed (the clutch uses this) so I think that might be advisable after 8 years :D

I changed the brake and clutch fluid on my old Ka last week. The clutch has always been a bit heavier than other Kas I drove before buying this one and this car had been laid up during Covid apparently. I oiled the pivot point on the top of the gearbox, cleaned and greased the 'arm' of the slave cylinder too when I first got the car as it would squeak and that improved it quite a bit. Changing and bleeding the fluid last week has made it slightly better again.

Without stripping it right down and actually changing the clutch (about £70 in parts, but I don't fancy doing it on the drive in the cold weather) I think that's as good as it gets now. However, this is 62,000 miles and 13 years old, so hopefully yours will be back to full strength with a fluid change/bleed and a bit of oil on the pivot for good measure.

Glad you got your key fob sorted out too. :smashin:

I'm back again, just refreshing myself with all the comments and advice on this thread as the clutch has been OK for some time now but since the wetter and slightly colder weather has started taking time to come back up again - not every gear change and not every journey.

I still haven't had the brake fluid changed (the clutch uses this) so I think that might be advisable after 8 years :D

Yeah definitely look at getting the fluid changed - another reason to have it done every two years for the brakes is that the bleed nipples will seize in the calipers and then you're looking at new calipers...

I had this with a second hand car I bought, so it's good to have it done every 2 years to keep the nipples from seizing.

I had to give my nipples a good soak in penetrating oil over a period of days before I dared try to move them. Also did the ones on the car too and they freed off OK. ;)

Oh joy! Just went out this morning and it was a lot worse. Got less than a mile from the house and it's completely stuck on the floor now and I can't move it. I am useless with cars so no idea what to hit with a hammer etc.

Called out Green Flag and they will be here before 2pm so I walked home and left it for a while.

God knows what it's going to cost to get it repaired :(

Oh joy! Just went out this morning and it was a lot worse. Got less than a mile from the house and it's completely stuck on the floor now and I can't move it. I am useless with cars so no idea what to hit with a hammer etc.

Called out Green Flag and they will be here before 2pm so I walked home and left it for a while.

God knows what it's going to cost to get it repaired :(
Sounds like master / slave cylinder failure.

What a day! The tow truck driver arrived and said that his truck wouldn’t fit under the height restriction barrier - even though I told the breakdown people what that restriction was.

So I said I’d have a go and see if the car would let me select first gear so I could move it onto the road. The clutch was still stuck on the floor so I stamped it hard a few times (even though I’d done that many times before calling them out) and it came up. I was then able to select first gear and move forward.

I got to the road and said that it felt reasonable and as the garage i was taking it to was only half a mile, I could try and drive it if he would follow me. I got half way there and went for 3rd gear and the clutch stuck again so I had to pull over. After a few pumps I managed to get first then 2nd whilst driving so kept it in 2nd for the remainder of the journey. It did feel and sound like it does when you are riding the clutch though.

So at least it’s at the garage now, all I have to do is wait for the bad news of what it’s going to cost as they aren’t the cheapest place around.

Edit - forgot to say that when I got back to the car there was a beardy scruff hanging around with his dog. I told him what had happened and he immediately turned into a knowall about it and told me I should take it to his mate and then told me I should put it in gear and start in gear to jump it forward, despite me telling him that even with the clutch in any position the gears were not engaging so that couldn’t work. He came up with a couple of theories of a hole in my sump or a gasket gone and all this when I was trying to talk to the recovery chap. He couldn't work out which one of us owned the car!

Mr knowall then said, let me do it and I had to stop him getting in my car by telling him to leave it as I want the experts to sort it. He then got in his car sulking and drove off he’d previously offered to help push the car to the road.

Before anyone says, I wasn’r rude and didn’t shout :)

Last edited:
Edit - forgot to say that when I got back to the car there was a beardy scruff hanging around with his dog. I told him what had happened and he immediately turned into a knowall about it and told me I should take it to his mate and then told me I should put it in gear and start in gear to jump it forward, despite me telling him that even with the clutch in any position the gears were not engaging so that couldn’t work. He came up with a couple of theories of a hole in my sump or a gasket gone and all this when I was trying to talk to the recovery chap. He couldn't work out which one of us owned the car!

Mr knowall then said, let me do it and I had to stop him getting in my car by telling him to leave it as I want the experts to sort it. He then got in his car sulking and drove off he’d previously offered to help push the car to the road.

Before anyone says, I wasn’r rude and didn’t shout :)
Sorry, I was only trying to be helpful 🤣🤣🤣

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom