Clutch & Flywheel question

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I have been having problems with my car for the past week or so where it has been juddering in 1st and 2nd gear when pulling away. Also a bit clunky when changing down.

It went to the dealers today who have said that it is the clutch and possibly the clutch and fly wheel.

I have a full warranty on it but they say these parts are not covered, annoying but ok.

My question is that the car had a new clutch and fly wheel at 33k miles. It has now travelled 55k, BMW are saying that these parts only have a two year warranty but surely they should be expected to last longer than 22k miles?

Any advice greatly received.

It's going to depend how it is driven though surely , a manufacturing defect would show up quickly I would have thought .....

I hate to say it,but a good number of us mentioned the costs of little things like gearbox,clutch and so on.

The SMG box,plus the clutch,clutch release bearing and flywheel are all items which cause problems on these cars,and hopefully for you,it's not the box itself,as the cost of the clutch is about average,but a box is costly.

That aside,"wear" items such as clutch and brakes are usually excluded from anything but failure warranty clauses,and whilst 22k miles does sound a bit weak,the cost will very likely be yours.

What I thought, "clutching" (boom boom) at straws really.

It is a tax I am happy to pay for the enjoyment that car gives me. I find out sometime later today whether it is clutch only or both.

What I thought, "clutching" (boom boom) at straws really.

It is a tax I am happy to pay for the enjoyment that car gives me. I find out sometime later today whether it is clutch only or both.

Well...fingers crossed then.

Clutch about £1k plus labour etc,add some for the flywheel.

SMG box.....factor of 10.

I have been told that: -

Clutch on it's own will be £1,400.
Clutch and Flywheel will be £2,800.
SMG box will be free as it is covered on the warranty.

I have been told that: -

Clutch on it's own will be £1,400.
Clutch and Flywheel will be £2,800.
SMG box will be free as it is covered on the warranty.

There you go.....silver lining to the cloud.

Damn costly things BMW clutch/flywheels.....the race spec kit in mine was nowhere near as bad.

Super silver lining. Needs the full 2.8k but they have put it through on the warranty

You lucky bugger, getting that through on warranty.

I had to have my clutch replaced on my smart car . Mercedes paid 75% of the costs as it needed replacing so quickly but I still had to pay 25%.

I am not counting my chickens yet. They have said it is 90% as the car has had two in 50k miles which apparently is unheard of.

Mr_Wistles said:
I am not counting my chickens yet. They have said it is 90% as the car has had two in 50k miles which apparently is unheard of.

As the SMG seems to have been knocked on the head from all M cars now, something tells me it isn't!

From research it appears to be an incorrect type of lubrication that was used in all cars pre 2009. Mine had a replacement done in that period (mid 2009) where the same incorrect lubricant was used.

Still waiting to find out if I am covered.

paulyoung666 said:
result , good job though :eek:

I have gone from potentially being 3k down to now having a car worth more than it was 3 days ago. Lagers are on me tonight.

Happy days, good to hear they didn't try to wriggle out of fixing it under warranty.

It is the standard BMW warranty which you can continue after the car is 3 years old.

The previous owner let it lapse so I had to wait one month before I could start it again.

It is £80 a month which does not cover "wear and tear" but they have just paid out in full for the two biggest wear and tear items on the car; points to that lubricant fault I mentioned earlier.

They called up at lunchtime and said that they thought the chance of it being covered was less than 50%. I said that if it was not covered I wanted the old clutch and flywheel to take away, they said that would cost me an extra £100 as they get that for returning, I said no probs. 4 hours later I am fully covered and the car has been valeted and ready for collection!!

Did you hint that you wanted to get those parts independently inspected?

I didn't but why else would I ask. I think they knew there was a fault and didn't want to admit it.

I have gone from potentially being 3k down to now having a car worth more than it was 3 days ago. Lagers are on me tonight.

Not sure about the logic of that,other than it was potentially worth not much as a non-runner I guess!

Whatever,BMW did well for you there.

Not sure about the logic of that,other than it was potentially worth not much as a non-runner I guess!

Whatever,BMW did well for you there.

The main thing on the M5 buyers guide is the clutch and flywheel condition.

I will sell in 3,000 miles with a practically brand new one. Has to help the resale value.

Mr_Wistles said:
I didn't but why else would I ask. I think they knew there was a fault and didn't want to admit it.

Just wondered if you forced the issue. :)

Appears you didn't need to. Glad it worked out though.

Just wondered if you forced the issue. :)

Appears you didn't need to. Glad it worked out though.

It was my wife doing all the talking, I never spoke to them. She doesn't even know how to get angry, just calmly said that she would like all the old parts if the warranty did not cover it.

Going to pick it up this afternoon. Reports are that once it has been fixed properly it drives much better.

This is a positive comment. I've found that sometimes women achieve a better result in male dominated environments.

How many women would ask for car parts back? That doesn't fit in with the pre conceived idea that a woman won't have a clue about cars and will just pay.

Or I'm talking nonsense and BMW just did the right thing.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom