Clueless, please help!!!

wacjac

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'd be VERY grateful for some basic help on this one. I know next to 'nowt about home cinema, except that I'd like it.

I've just bought a 46" Samsung LE46C580 LCD TV and Samsung BD-C6500 Bluray player. Pretty much as expected the sound out of the TV is dire, so I need to beef it up. For the record I also have Virgin v+ HD box.

Now, as I said above, I know nothing about the kit or what I need.....so here goes with some probably stupid questions....

On the back of the Bluray player is a set of phonoplug connections which correspond with Front right, left rear, middle etc..etc... - so, does this player have an amp built into it so I can just (somehow) connect the necessary speakers into these phonoplugs?

If not, I assume I need an amp plus speakers?

I'll struggle with 5.1 as I can't get rear speakers into any worthwhile position so 2.1 or even 3.1 would do - but I want them by Samsung.

If necessary I could return the Bluray player to Amazon and swap for something else, as I'm already sick of being unable to get the wireless side of things to work.

Can anyone give me some advice what I need/can do here please?

Cheers

What bluray do you have?
Why do you want a Samsung reciever/speakers. Samsung are not known for making good amps and certainly not for good speakers.
The best option is to get a separates system (reciever and speakers). The best way to connect the bluray to a reciever is via a HDMI lead. This will then give you HD audio with the right reciever.
A budget separates system starts from around £300 upwards so what is your budget for this upgrade?

Doh, should read the post a little better!!!!!

Cheers guys,

....so it has to be done with an amp and speakers then?

Like I said, I only need a 2.1 or preferably 3.1, but there doesn't look like there's much choice in anything other than 5.1

Would it be possible to buy a budget(ish) home cinema system (with Bluray playe) for about £200-£300 and just use some of the speakers? I'm not after mind blowing - just something reasonably good.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom