Clueless newbie has dumb questions

hokum

Novice Member
So, I've got the following: Samsung LE40M87BDX, Xbox 360 (no HDMI, VGA connection), Xbox 1 (Component), Playstation 2 (composite or component) and HTPC (DVI). I would like to get a cheap but passable 5.1 setup but I'm a little confused about the best way to set it up. Do I want a receiver with all my equipment plugged into it (audio and video) or do I just need an amplifier? And if it is an amp that I'm after, do I feed the audio outputs from all my hardware into that one box, or just plug it into the TV as normal then have a single audio output going into the amp?

100%WHU

Novice Member
From what I can see you have. I would say that you should get yourself an amp. I just treated myself to a Yamaha 761, you can plug all your hardware into it. Then you have only the need for 1 lead to your tv, but if you get the amp you will then need some speakers. Now I am not sure what your budget is. But for less than £400 you could get a Yammy 761 and the Canton 60cx speakers from the powerbuy. I have this set up and believe me for the budget it is fantastic :thumbsup:

hokum

Novice Member
So all the audio leads go into the amp, then a single audio lead goes to the TV?

Don't some receivers upscale though? Would that help improve the quality of DVDs?

sp_harris

So all the audio leads go into the amp, then a single audio lead goes to the TV?
Not quite. All audio is connected to the amp then the amp plays the sound through the speakers you connect to the amp.

Don't some receivers upscale though? Would that help improve the quality of DVDs?
So amps/receivers do upscale video signal, but that puts you into the greater than £600 price area. Also you TV has to change/scale all input pictures to it's own native resolution anyway. Otherwise you might have a picture in the middle of the screen with black borders round it. It depends whether the upscalling is better in your amp than you TV. Personally I would worry about upscaling and focus on getting an amp with the right/enough connections that sounds good to you.

You mentioned you have 2 X-Boxes, a PS2 and a PC as sources. I understand the X-Box 360 has an optical connection for it's sound. As for the X-Box 1, PS2 and PC, you need to know how they will be connected for sound, i.e. optical, 2 stereo leads, etc...

Are you looking for the sound from your TV freeview to be sent through the amp as well?

What connections does your HTPC have for sound output?

hokum

Novice Member
Yeah, freeview sound would be going through it too.

The HTPC has a Creative Audigy 2 sound card.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom