1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clueless in Glasgow

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by old-Bill, Aug 7, 2004.

1. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I am completely new to the AV scene and getting on a bit in years but I thought I would give it a go!

After reading through your forums I decided to purchase a Pioneer DV-575A DVD player and A Toshiba 36ZP48 television, I also purchased component video leads so that I could use Progressive Scan.
    When I connect up with these leads my video "Donny Darko" does not play!
    If I connect a Scart lead it does play!
    I am clueless as to how all this works, could someone please, please help out, I even took my DVD player to Curries but they could not make it start on Progressive Scan, I am at a total loss as I dont really understand what I am doing.
    Do you have to have a Progressive Scan compatible DVD as the Salesman in Curries told me?

Please help.

Bill :rolleyes:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    connect DVD via scart and go into menu and select YPbPr as out put, also go into TV menu and set the component input to YPbPr may be labelled YUV.

3. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your prompt reply Hornydragon, I will give it a go.
    I could not sleep last night worrying that I had mucked something up.

I will let you know how I get on. :)

Bill

4. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon, Could you bear with me on this;
    From the TV. menu I selected: Picture - Scan mode - at this point my options become, Progress., Natural, Active and 100Hz. Which one do I choose?
    (I chose Progress!)

From the DVD player menu I selected: Initial settings - component out, at this point my options become Interlace or Progressive. There is a small square infront of interlace when I highlight Progressive this square does not move.Does that matter? Anyway I highlighted Progressive and pressed enter to select - I hope!

When I take out the Scart lead I am back to start ie, there is no picture, do I require to leave the scart lead connected as well?????

Bill

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Hi Bill, first off you are very unlikely to have 'mucked something up'. This is almost certainly a simple set-up issue as the player is still outputting via the scart socket. As Horny has already advised you need to tell the player to output the video signal from the component sockets. Since i don't have your tv i am unable to comment on the specifics of the menu but you could try asking on the tv forum regarding that aspect. Good luck and have you read the manual ;)

6. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks lynx,

I have managed to sort out the Pioneer DVD 575 end of things and have it set to output progressive scan but I am still unsure of the TV setup.

Is there anyone out there with a Toshiba 36ZP48 or similar that can tell me how to set it for progressive Scan?
    Cheers
    Bill

7. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I now have the progressive scan working but I have no sound on DVD playback, although sound is OK in TV mode. Something came up during my footerings saying "No signal"

Bill

8. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    You need to take a lead from the dvd player to the tv carrying the bitstream audio. You may find that your tv accepts an optical connection (the player will offer a choice of co-axial or optical), this is the lead which will carry the audio signal from dvd player to tv. The reason you had it before was the audio signal was being distributed along the scart cable which you have now 'switched of'. Hope thats clear.

9. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lynx, Sounds like you have solved my problem, which type of lead is best, co-axial or optical, I'm guessing optical?

Bill

10. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Co-ax may be preferable, however you may not have the choice as your tv may only have an optical socket. Have a look on the tv's rear panel to see whats available, the co-ax socket resembles a standard phono socket.

11. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks everyone for your help, I now have my machines up and running.I could not have done so without the help given on this forum.
    The only thing I don't know how to do is get my NTL cable programmes running on my new telly, can anyone help?

Bill

12. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    which ntl box do you have? analogue or digital? Basically Use scart to RGB AV input AV1 ond set box to RGB (Digital) for analogue i think you only get composite.

13. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hornydragon
    My box only has a co-axial output, what I really wanted to know is how to tune my new telly in to NTL, its a Toshiba 36ZP48. I take it my VCR will involve a similar process, it does have scart leads.

From its age I imagine the NTL box will be analogue should I phone up NTL and ask to change to digital? Also what is the difference between Surround sound and Dolby Digital DTS, I don't know which to select for best performance, I am using the system and external speakers supplied with the Toshiba 36ZP48 telly
    Bill.

14. old-Bill

old-Bill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks again everyone,

I managed to manually tune in my NTL and my VCR, Happy Days!

Bill

15. Digiman

Digiman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    No problem, no problem, no problem.

With due respect Bill, running three near identical posts in this forum is a bit of a time waster as different people end up answering the same question three times. This is slightly more annoying due to the fact that the problem arises from what appears to be a desire not to read the manual. I can only assume, old-Bill, that this is a result of you not being able to remember if, when and on which forums you put your posts.

16. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    digital is much better PQ and your New TV will probably look a lot bettter with Digital, it is more per month tho, DTS is a type of surround sound and where available i would use it. Also Digital ntl has a dedicated VCR scaret for higher quality recordings