1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clueless deciding on plasma...Pana 42PHD7UY v. Sony v. Projector

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Austin519, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Austin519

Austin519

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,
    Lost my old account info so I created a new account, oh well. I'm deciding on a new home theater setup for my place as I just moved, and I'm looking to toss my huge 36" Sony Wega flatscreen CRT for a plasma (or possibly projector). I have $3000-$4000 US to spend, and I've been looking through posts and have decided on the below:

On first look, I was checking out the Panasonic TH-42PHD7UY:
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/panasonic-th42phd7uy.html

their 42" HDTV screen. Seems to have everything I want in a screen...especially with the ability to plug in hookups with cards in the back. I was intrigued by their $500 wireless card that seems to be able to let me broadcast audio and video from my pc to the screen (anyone have this and know for sure it does this? It's only 802.11b so I wasn't sure). Has Panasonic discontinued this screen as I don't see it on their site...

I looked around more and I also saw the Sony KDE-42XS955:
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/sony-kde42xs955.html

Which is another nice 42" plasma...though it does not have the wireless ability or any ethernet ability that the Panasonic has. It does however have onboard HDMI, where with the Panasonic I believe I have to buy a $150 card (as well as a $150 card for component RCA input). The sony definitely (as Sony tends to do) has a much more eye catching design than the Panasonic. I saw the Sony's picture quality in a store (granted, not tuned I'm sure), and it seemed to be pretty good as is. Sony's TV includes a tuner, which I don't really need but hey, extra options aren't all bad.

Lastly....I noticed Pioneer, specifically:
    http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatv/pioneer-pdp504cmx.html

Which I seem to be able to get for around $4000. That is the 50" version, and I'm sure their 42", if they have one, is cheaper. It seems to also offer the capabilities that the Panasonic does, and I've heard that Pioneer is another good brand for plasmas. Are there any other Pioneers in my price range I should check out?

I don't really see any other plasma's in my price range that are particularly interesting but if you guys have any to suggest please do.

Now my question is really which plasma do you guys think has the better picture. I'll be doing everything with this plasma, from TV watching to movies to PC, HD and non-HD viewing. If the wireless on the Panasonic works as it sounds like it does, that's a big plus (though I'm not sure how you can stream DVD video and AC3 with only 11 mbits of margin max)...but the fact that I'm going to have to go out and buy all these cards is a minus, because it brings the cost of the Panasonic up essentially to the cost of the sony. Currently I've found the Panasonic for $3500 US and the Sony for $4100 US.

Also as a side note, the room is a 13 foot x 12 foot room, couch will be on one side and the tv on another, so I wonder if a projector would be better? Anyone have thoughts on that? Any reason why a projector would be better.

I appreciate any suggestions and advice guys...thanks,

Austin519

2. THC3

THC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First question you need to ask yourself about projector vs plasma is room light. If your room can get as dark as a tight closet during the day then there are a number of other considerations - keep in mind that any projector lamp/bulb has a relatively short life span and they're gonna cost you over $400.00 to replace. Unless you spend at least 10-15K on a really good projector it'll never come close to PQ of a palsma - personally I haven't a really good projector - even at $25,000.00. Do the plasma!
    Good luck to you.....

3. Austin519

Austin519

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THC3:
    Good call, didn't think about that...that's a big no. My room has a huge bay window on one side (a side that'll be perpendicular to the screen), that my landlord has good shades on but still, light will come through. Thanks for that info...it sounds like we've X'ed that question, so now we're down to what plasma...hmmm.

Austin519

4. Austin519

Austin519

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm...someone's gotta know this...I could really use some help...

Austin519