Clueless And Past It. I Need Pointing In The Right Direction, Please !

pottydave

Novice Member
Hi All

I know this is question has been asked many times :boring:, but I don't know where to start.:confused: I have not looked into the world of computers for at least 3 or more years and I am totally out of date with everything. I am looking to spend around £300 to £400 on a gaming system. I don't need a monitor, what would be the best spec I could realisticaly buy for the money? :lease:As always any constructive advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
Pottydave.

Xerstead

Novice Member
Are you looking to build yourself or buy one ready made?

pottydave

Novice Member
Hi Xerstead
I would prefer to buy ready made, but I do have freinds and family who could help me build one, if need be. Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Pottydave.

badbob

Banned
Need to spend a bit more. For £400 can build this but still need a HD, OS. Plus what monitor do you have? If it's a low resolution LCD or small CRT bit pointless, I'd add a new monitor as well.

OcUK Value IP35 Pro Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £59.99
(£70.49) £59.99
(£70.49)
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX (2x1GB) £24.99
(£29.36) £24.99
(£29.36)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.20GHz (800FSB) - Retail £66.99
(£78.71) £66.99
(£78.71)
OcUK GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail £93.99
(£110.44) £93.99
(£110.44)
Antec Sonata Plus 550 Quiet Midi-Tower Case - NeoPower 550W Modular PSU (Black/Silver)

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
You might be better off building it, a gaming machine for £400 is going to be a bit lopsided so you may have trouble finding anywhere selling one.

pottydave

Novice Member
Need to spend a bit more. For £400 can build this but still need a HD, OS. Plus what monitor do you have? If it's a low resolution LCD or small CRT bit pointless, I'd add a new monitor as well.

OcUK Value IP35 Pro Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard £59.99
(£70.49) £59.99
(£70.49)
Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX (2x1GB) £24.99
(£29.36) £24.99
(£29.36)
Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 "LGA775 Allendale" 2.20GHz (800FSB) - Retail £66.99
(£78.71) £66.99
(£78.71)
OcUK GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 HDTV/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail £93.99
(£110.44) £93.99
(£110.44)
Antec Sonata Plus 550 Quiet Midi-Tower Case - NeoPower 550W Modular PSU (Black/Silver)
You might be better off building it, a gaming machine for £400 is going to be a bit lopsided so you may have trouble finding anywhere selling one.
Thanks for the pointers badbob and EndlessWaves..I don't have a problem with having one built. The PC I have now was built for me. Looking at badbobs spec, the motherboard seems quite cheap, is a budget one? Does it have raid on board? I am using a Gigabyte motherboard with a raid hard-drive at the moment and I have been very happy with it:). I don't know much about hardware, but is it still the case that it's best to buy components that can run at the same/comparable clock speeds? or am I getting a little mixed up? I think I would be looking for least 250 GB hard drive and for the OS, Windows XP home is what I am using now:). I have a small CRT monitor at the moment and would replace this eventually with 21" monitor or something similar. The rest of the spec looks OK to me, particularly the graphics card ? What about using an AMD Chip instead? Has anyone else got any suggestions? A top price, would be £500 to £550.

Thanks again for your help !

Pottydave

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Looking at badbobs spec, the motherboard seems quite cheap, is a budget one? Does it have raid on board? I am using a Gigabyte motherboard with a raid hard-drive at the moment and I have been very happy with it:). I don't know much about hardware, but is it still the case that it's best to buy components that can run at the same/comparable clock speeds? or am I getting a little mixed up? I think I would be looking for least 250 GB hard drive and for the OS, Windows XP home is what I am using now:). I have a small CRT monitor at the moment and would replace this eventually with 21" monitor or something similar. The rest of the spec looks OK to me, particularly the graphics card ? What about using an AMD Chip instead? Has anyone else got any suggestions? A top price, would be £500 to £550.

Thanks again for your help !

Pottydave
£40-£50 motherboards seem fine these days.

Most motherboards do seem to have SATA Raid, as it's the pro edition I would imagine that one does too.

You mean the old FSB/Memory syncing for clock speeds? I haven't heard that mentioned lately.

Intel's Core 2 chips are better than the AMD ones at the moment.

pottydave

Novice Member
Hi EndlessWaves

Thanks for the post. Yes, I think I will go for a Raid drive again and my comments about clock speeds, just gos to show you how long I have been out of the P.C. market. In regards to the above spec, I don't know anything about the recent chips from intel. So please forgive me, if I ask you how you rate the Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 chip in badbobs spec,? when compared to other intel chips? in terms of speed? value for money? future proofing?
Thanks again for any advice given.
Pottydave

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I don't know how the E4500 compares, I've mostly been looking at the E8500/Q6600 myself.

Any dual-core isn't going to have a great deal of future proofing as the race for more cores starts to pick up pace, however within your budget I don't think you've got any choice, you could perhaps consider the base model of the Phenom tri-core?

pottydave

Novice Member
Hi Endless Waves
I think it might be worth holding on for a while, to see how Phenom tri-core chips pan out. As far as I understand it, these have not been out that long. I also did a little research regardingE4500 which seem to have a reasonable clock speed , but I have also been reading about the E6420 (at twice the price). The E6420 has caught my interest, with the reviews that I have read. Perhaps, if I wait a little while they might come down in price, as there is always a new must have chip just around the corner and I am in no rush. In the meantime, thanks to you and badbod, you have both certainly got me thinking about what direction to take with all this stuff.

Thanks again for all your help !

Pottydave

Thanks for your thoughts,

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom