Cluck Me!

Duncan G

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Woman pays £1,800 for chicken leg.

A woman from Cwmbran, Torfaen took out a bank loan and lived on beans on toast for a year to pay £1,800 in vet bills after her pet chicken injured its leg.

Vicky Mills, 24, was heartbroken when Lily, a Rhode Island Red, got her leg trapped in a barbed wire fence.

Despite the costs, Mrs Mills told her vet to try to save the limb rather than have her put down. When the treatment failed, she paid for an amputation.

Lily was also diagnosed with depression but has now recovered, said Mrs Mills.

The chicken's gloominess was thought to have been brought on by being in the house alone while Mrs Mills and her husband Sam were out at work.

So the couple now leave the television on all day to keep it company and it is a "happy hen again", they said.

Mrs Mills was given Lily, now three-years-old, when it was a two-day-old chick and she now lays up to six eggs a week for her and husband Sam.

The cost of the seven operations were "worth every penny", said Mrs Mills, who has forsaken her holidays this year to pay the vet's bills.

"I love her to bits and it would break my heart is anything happened to her," she said.

"She's much more fun than a cat or a dog.

"She struts about as if she rules the roost - she really thinks she's top of the pecking order in our household."

The couple have taught one-legged Lily party tricks like keeping her balance as she stands on Mrs Mills' head.

Mr Mills, 23, said the couple were "devastated" when Lily's leg got snagged in the barbed wire.

"My wife loves that chicken so much that she could not bear to have her put down," said Mr Mills.

"But now she is a happy hen again and laying eggs regularly for us.

"She is quite happy to hop around on one leg.

"But sometimes she tries to scratch herself with her missing leg and falls over."

Lily was also diagnosed with depression but has now recovered, said Mrs Mills.

How do you tell if a chicken is depressed?:confused:

It looks fowl and pecks at it's food.:rotfl:

It makes the £45 I spent on a 'humane dispatcher' look like a bargain.
As for being depressed, chicks like to live in flocks, so a single bird by herself is always going to be stressed. Some people shouldn't be allowed pets.

It makes the £45 I spent on a 'humane dispatcher' look like a bargain.
As for being depressed, chicks like to live in flocks, so a single bird by herself is always going to be stressed. Some people shouldn't be allowed pets.

Pets should be defined as those which are not part of the human carnivorous food chain.

I see the owner started leaving the TV on as company for the bird.
Favourite films-Rooster Cogburn, The Egg And I, The Eggxocist.
Favourite tv program-The Six O'Cluck News.

Well I am not going to tell others what should be a "pet"

I personally for example never got rats. The hamsters back at the family home are pushing it - though it is funny when you see their nightly attempt for freedom by hanging upside down on the cage lid literally by the skin of their teeth

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom