Clubhouse Cinema 7.2.4 dedicated room build

SeanRo

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, after 2 years of reading inspiring posts in these forums I'm ready to start my own build. I've learnt a huge amount from your experiences, and undoubtably will still have questions on my journey.

This will be my first HT having dreamed (and saved) for many years - now is the time!

My dedicated room will be on the first floor of a timber framed barn, the remainder of the floor is a games/comfy seating/kitchenette area.

The space stud to stud & floor chipboard to rafter will be 4.8m x 4.5m x 2.5m, with a single door, window, and part pitched roof.
ht-initial-room-layout.png

I have a long cupboard behind the rear of the room that I can rebate the projector, media shelves and av rack into.

I've broken my decisions into the following areas:
  1. what are my design goals for the cinema?
  2. what is the shape/dimensions of the room, and any starting compromises?
  3. what are building control & structural considerations?
  4. what room acoustic considerations?
  5. how do I achieve sound isolation in the walls, floor, ceiling, door, windows, projector housing and av cabinet
  6. what interior construction for soffit/pelmet, baffle & false walls vs pillars
  7. what first fix cabling for mains, lighting, audio, control, data and miscellaneous e.g. future screen masking
  8. what major AV components: speakers, projector, amp
  9. what screen material & masking?
  10. what seating and configuration?
  11. how do I want to remote control everything?
  12. how do I want air to circulate?
  13. how will I control temperature in the room and projector/equipment racks?
  14. what lighting is needed for each 'scene'?
  15. what wifi & wired network needed?
  16. what finish on walls, ceiling and floor?
  17. what acoustic treatment within the room? Around the projector?
  18. finally, what posters & signage would enhance the experience?
It would be great to get your feedback and advice as I progress on the build - thanks!

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome!

A couple of questions.

How much 'flat' ceiling space do you have before the pitched section starts?

Is the room separate from the games etc. area? So we're talking an enclosed space - not open to another area?

Have you decided in which direction you'd like the room to be oriented?

Have you got particular 'kit' in mind/already purchased/self built?

How many are you looking to seat?

You say the barn is timber framed, how is it skinned? Shiplap, tongue & groove, or something more substantial?

To make such a space usable year round, it will need insulating, if there's none already there, and heating/cooling - I see you've mentioned these considerations already.

Looking forward to seeing this one develop!

Thanks!

How much 'flat' ceiling space do you have before the pitched section starts?

3.3m of 'flat' ceiling

Is the room separate from the games etc. area? So we're talking an enclosed space - not open to another area?

Stud wall separating games from HT - with double plasterboard + skim on games side

Have you decided in which direction you'd like the room to be oriented?

Screen under slope orientation - I have enough height for MLP to have eyes on screen vertical centre and have subs underneath. Also I didn't want that slope behind the MLP with no rebate for projector. also room next to door for corner base traps if required

Have you got particular 'kit' in mind/already purchased/self built?

Leaning towards MK + Denon having seen/heard demos, no thoughts on PJ or AT screen yet.

How many are you looking to seat?

Looking to seat 50% me, 50% 2 adults + 2-3 kids - kids can be on beanbags

You say the barn is timber framed, how is it skinned? Shiplap, tongue & groove, or something more substantial?

Barn is 25mm larch cladding, battens, membrane, OSB on 120mm studs

To make such a space usable year round, it will need insulating, if there's none already there, and heating/cooling - I see you've mentioned these considerations already.

I've fully insulated the games room already - 150mm slabs between rafters, 100mm between studs, 25mm overtop, plasterboard & skim - its toasty with a single radiator. However this has taken the best part of a year to complete this ourselves. Hoping sound insulation is much easier to fit!

I paused on insulating the HT to use better sound insulating material (that can also temperature insulate) so have the studs empty.

I'll take some pics at the weekend and add to the sketchup.

You have a great blank canvas to build a cinema room.

There are lots of options available with too many to discuss on the forums.

More than happy to offer some advice.

We are also the UK’s leading M&K Sound supplier/installer.

Please do feel free to pm or email should you wish. We do have showrooms full of M&K in Hertfordshire should you wish to visit.

Best wishes

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Thinking about my dedicated room design goals, here is my first draft:
  • Enjoy the build process and end result. This should be fun!
  • The interior should 'feel' like you are in a dedicated room - room acoustics, aesthetics, lighting, seating, wow factor
  • Picture and sound quality best for my budget (and sight/hearing)
  • Plan for room sound isolation - it will be in a separate timber clad building, above a workshop, next to a games room and 50m from neighbours
  • Build for Atmos 7.2.4, but wire for future
  • Cinemascope screen, use vertical masks for 16:9, sized as large as wall and MLP distance would allow
  • Neutral sound system, also suitable for music
  • Plan for room treatment but measure at each stage
  • Comfortable/adjustable temperature & air circulation
  • Simple to select & watch a movie
  • Use best practice & science within the constraints of my room & budget
  • Build and configure as much as possible myself (except elec & a/c)
Any other goals that you've had in your builds?

Here are the builds that I have really enjoyed reading and learning from:

The Room With(out) A View. A 7.1.4 DIY ground-up cinema build by @batfink007
First dedicated Home Cinema room by @SeriousPigeon
The Log Cabin Build by @JokerJack
Dedicated Wooden Outbuilding Home Cinema by @wl1
'Secondhand Cinema' - House Extension with a Dedicated MK Home Cinema Room by @Harkon321
A dreamer stops dreaming by @Triggaaar
Pro custom HT build to highest standards - Cowshed Cinema by @kbarnes70
Shed of Darkness 9.4.6 by @mb3195
The Dreamer stops dreaming! by @The Dreamer

I've picked up a huge number of tips from the authors and contributors to the above posts - any others I should dive into?

Last edited:
Looking forward to following your progress!

I've mostly found my build so far to be 'fun' (apart from the rigid insulation, which was soul destroying :rotfl:)

Ha - thanks for the mention above.. still use mine a lot upgraded to Dolby atmos and new pj. Plan for your upgrades with spare network, hdmi and speaker wires in the walls etc.

Enjoy your build! I loved doing mine

[No idea why 2 of the 4 images are not displaying, they are visible in edit mode and the urls are correct, have included direct links]

Some context

Here is the barn exterior - it's been up for two and a half years and the larch cladding has weathered beautifully from the zingy orange. Downstairs is a workshop and utility room.

ht-weathered-barn.png

The first floor space, we have since split into games/storage/cinema rooms. The cinema room takes up the far right corner. The storage room/cupboard takes up the far left corner - around 2 studs worth.

ht-barn-shell.png

The builder left us with the cladded shell to insulate and plasterboard ourselves. We've completed the games and storage rooms. Took us over a year so we feel @batfink007 's pain

ht-games-room-insulation.png

Almost done, door to cinema on right, storage on left, ready for skirting, architrave and caulking

ht-games-almost-complete.png

The cinema door is solid oak boards on 5 heavy duty hinges, ready for making more soundproof.
The stud wall has double plasterboard this side (no green glue)

I've learnt a lot from building this side of the floor so fingers crossed!

Last edited:
AVForums is a bit picky with displaying externally hosted images (a lot of images are broken in my thread too) - it's simpler just to 'Attach files' and then select 'display full image' - the images are then hosted here on AVF, and it seems to work.

I would have said you were a neighbour, as there is a similar barn to this in the next village to us - but pretty sure it's been up a few more years. Looks like a great space.

You’ve got a great space to work with, it’s good you’re planning ahead with what you want to achieve.

Lots of the biggest improvements of cinemas can be done with relatively small expenditure, it’s not always the most expensive kit that wins.

Any specific questions you might have feel free to ask away, having experience of an outbuilding myself for 5 years I’ve learnt some of this stuff the hard way 🤦‍♂️

Thinking about my dedicated room design goals, here is my first draft:
  • Enjoy the build process and end result. This should be fun!
  • The interior should 'feel' like you are in a dedicated room - room acoustics, aesthetics, lighting, seating, wow factor
  • Picture and sound quality best for my budget (and sight/hearing)
  • Plan for room sound isolation - it will be in a separate timber clad building, above a workshop, next to a games room and 50m from neighbours
  • Build for Atmos 7.2.4, but wire for future
  • Cinemascope screen, use vertical masks for 16:9, sized as large as wall and MLP distance would allow
  • Neutral sound system, also suitable for music
  • Plan for room treatment but measure at each stage
  • Comfortable/adjustable temperature & air circulation
  • Simple to select & watch a movie
  • Use best practice & science within the constraints of my room & budget
  • Build and configure as much as possible myself (except elec & a/c)
Any other goals that you've had in your builds?

Here are the builds that I have really enjoyed reading and learning from:

The Room With(out) A View. A 7.1.4 DIY ground-up cinema build by @batfink007
First dedicated Home Cinema room by @SeriousPigeon
The Log Cabin Build by @JokerJack
Dedicated Wooden Outbuilding Home Cinema by @wl1
'Secondhand Cinema' - House Extension with a Dedicated MK Home Cinema Room by @Harkon321
A dreamer stops dreaming by @Triggaaar
Pro custom HT build to highest standards - Cowshed Cinema by @kbarnes70
Shed of Darkness 9.4.6 by @mb3195
The Dreamer stops dreaming! by @The Dreamer

I've picked up a huge number of tips from the authors and contributors to the above posts - any others I should dive into?
Thank you for the mention. I'm genuinely really pleased that my build thread has been useful to someone else. I look forward to seeing how your build progresses.
Your barn looks amazing, what an awesome starting point for a home theatre. I am more than a little jealous.

I've used the Dolby Atmos 7.2.4 radials to plan my speaker layout. I was able to avoid the door and the window (fire escape).

Reminder of the room
ht-persepctive.png

Plan view showing speaker placement within radials
ht-plan-with-radials.png
Side elevation
ht-side-elevation.png

It's all theoretical at the moment - I need to clear the room of junk before I can start the sound proofing

I've been researching motorised screen masking for a constant image height screen and stumbled upon AMAZING and Affordable DIY Home Theatre Cinema Projector Screen Masking System A great watch.

I then applied the masking idea to my proposed 2.35 screen and if my maths is correct, the masks cover the LR speakers when they are in the recommended atmos positions

ht-masking-for-16-9.png

What do others normally do in this situation? move the speakers or use AT masking fabric (if such a thing exists)?

I've been researching motorised screen masking for a constant image height screen and stumbled upon AMAZING and Affordable DIY Home Theatre Cinema Projector Screen Masking System A great watch.

I then applied the masking idea to my proposed 2.35 screen and if my maths is correct, the masks cover the LR speakers when they are in the recommended atmos positions

View attachment 1653369

What do others normally do in this situation? move the speakers or use AT masking fabric (if such a thing exists)?
Nice find!

edited to say .....

I just bought one to have a play. Ship from China, so not due for a month but I'm in no rush...

Last edited:
You could maybe use MVEL22 or DEVORE fabric for the panels as that should be pretty acoustically transparent from tests others have done. The tricky bit will be to avoid the edge of the support frame for the panel being in front of the speakers.

I just bought one to have a play. Ship from China, so not due for a month but I'm in no rush...
Ooh nice, which flavour did you go for - wifi, zwave or the other one? Two of the links mentioned Tuya and I'm still investigating the differences between wifi, zigbee, z-wave for overall automation of the HT. Are there any good threads on avforum and a conclusion as to which protocol is best for HT?

The tricky bit will be to avoid the edge of the support frame for the panel being in front of the speakers.
Agreed. Assuming I should stay within the atmos recommended angles I have some scope to shift the LR, plus the width of the mask to minimise the frame overlap. Back to sketchup!

Ooh nice, which flavour did you go for - wifi, zwave or the other one? Two of the links mentioned Tuya and I'm still investigating the differences between wifi, zigbee, z-wave for overall automation of the HT. Are there any good threads on avforum and a conclusion as to which protocol is best for HT?
I went for the wifi/Alexa version. My lights will also be alexa controlled and I want to use something that my kids are familiar with using too. It'll be an experiment :smashin:

I've shifted my LR to sit squarely in the 16:9 mask 'zone' - which coincides with the atmos LR positions - and have about 65mm to allow for the mask frame each side of the speaker - all good.

Can I get some feedback on my proposed speaker positions for 7.2.4 (red) and also future wiring for front wides (green). My reading suggests the wides try to bridge the gap between LR and sides so I have placed them around 40 degrees.

ht-speaker-placement.png

Personally, I'd pull the Side Surrounds a little further forward - it'll give better separation between the Sides and the Rears, and reduce the angular difference between the LCR and the Sides too, so panning front to back will be a little more seamless. Don't stick them directly at 90 degrees though, they'll be blasting straight into the closest listeners ear and their head will also block the sound from reaching others.

When adding Wides, simply divide the angle between your Side Surround and your Front Left or Right as appropriate and stick them in the middle to achieve both the best panning effects and widening of the front soundstage.

There's a bit of wiggle room in any of the specifications you might read, so it's not all hard and fast rules that have to be followed - it's more 'best practice', but that doesn't mean you'll have disastrous results moving slightly away from the guidelines.

Personally, I'd pull the Side Surrounds a little further forward
Unfortunately I have a fire escape window (tinted blue) just forward of the Left Side Surround speaker that takes up the wall space up to 90 degrees of seating.

Do you think moving the Side Surrounds to the yellow position, and the Wides at green work?

ht-speaker-placement2.png

Unfortunately I have a fire escape window (tinted blue) just forward of the Left Side Surround speaker that takes up the wall space up to 90 degrees of seating.

Do you think moving the Side Surrounds to the yellow position, and the Wides at green work?

View attachment 1653787

I would try out both positions - or if you're having to wire now, then wire for both positions (wire is relatively cheap), and see which you prefer as the room nears completion.

Where they originally were, is closest to where mine are in relation to my front row; and where they are in yellow, is very close to where they are in relation to my rear row of seats. In many ways, despite there being a lot of naysayers about having side surrounds in front of you, it sounds pretty good from the rear row.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom