1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cloudy CRT Lens ???????????

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by schmidtsm, Aug 4, 2005.

1. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am thinking of buying a NEC XG 135 non LC and the guy tell me that they are cloudy. What does that mean? How could they be fixed? What will that do to the performance of the picture? Has anyone had any experence with cloudly lens? Could I exchange my PG 6100 lens for them? Or is this s sysmtom of a larger problem?

Thanks,

2. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cloudy lens..is that related to Dusty tube? :D

..sounds like they are dirty inside maybe..but not a good start to a purchase :eek:

3. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How bad is dust on the tubes? What do you mean not a good start? Light shines out of the each crt.

4. crispybig

crispybig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The lenses from your PG6100 will fit the non-LC XG - I have swapped them myself. I don't believe that's true for LC models, but you are OK with non-LC.

Early PGs had HD6 lenses, later ones HD144 or HD145 lenses. The XGs all had 144s or 145s, which is optically a better lens. However, they are all interchangeable. The number is clearly shown on a coloured sticker on the side of the lens, though it might be covered by an easily removed plate.

Go for the XG - in any case brand new HD144/5s are available quite cheaply (~£100 a set). Not really worth trying to repair the old ones.

Where are you located?

(PS: leaving for the airport in about an hour! :hiya: )

Attached Files:

5. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am in the US. I don't mind changing them out with what I have. How much would LC lens cost?

I don't have much information on the Cloudy lens, do you guys think that simple changing out the lens will solve the problem? or would it be possible with dusty crt's to simply remove the dust with compressed air? Please advise.

Schmidtsm

6. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    You can't just drop in LC'ed lenses into a non-LC projector and turn it into an LC unit sine the first lens element (called the c-element) is connected to the CRT itself. You need to replace the CRT's, mounts, and lenses as a set if you want to go from AC to LC.

Kal

7. schmidtsm

schmidtsm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks that what I was kind of thinking. If the lens appear Cloudy like this picture what do you think the problems is?

Thanks

Attached Files:

8. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Sorry - no idea.

A previous owner may have tried to clean them with something he/she wasn't supposed to?

Kal

9. Vince M

Vince M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ..Yeah ..thats what I think..some kind of solution has been used..

But your going to swap the lenses anyway arn`t you-so not problem! :thumbsup: