CloudReady as a HTPC platform

Chaihana Joe

I'd never heard of Neverware until reading today that Google had bought it. It sounds like their Cloudready OS could be used to turn an old PC into some kind of media hub.

Curious to know if anybody's had any experience of this and whether it's worth exploring.

next010

Distinguished Member
I'd never heard of Neverware until reading today that Google had bought it. It sounds like their Cloudready OS could be used to turn an old PC into some kind of media hub.

Curious to know if anybody's had any experience of this and whether it's worth exploring.

No not really.

Chromebooks run Chrome OS, Neverware made a copy of it for x86 PC's using Chromium which is the open source version of Chrome OS.

There are lots of Linux OS you can use on old PCs if you want to use it as a HTPC.

Try Linux Mint with default cinnamon desktop and if thats too slow try the xfce desktop for old machines.

Download Linux Mint iso image, get USB Linux installer, select Linux Mint from the list, point it at .iso and USB flash drive and it will create a bootable USB installer.

The software manager built into the OS has all the usual media software you can use, Kodi, Plex, Emby, VLC etc.

Chaihana Joe

Thanks yes, I've tried a couple of Linux distros but found it too stressful.

I know they say you can't use the Google Play store with CloudReady but I'm hoping to be able to install the apk's I need from elsewhere. This is what I'm not clear about. Going to try it once there's a bit of free time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom