• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Cloud Emails - Best to use?

Hoaxs

Standard Member
So basically my Family have asked me to take their email system to the cloud. They are currently using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for their emails which is tied to one machine, they also have a service provided by Virgin Media that filter our emails before they arrive at their Outlook.

What I'm looking for is some help, either a user guide or product guide for setting up a cloud email service that they can use a email client on their devices and the ability to log in via a website.

With their current outlook once the emails are downloaded onto that PC they cannot be viewed on another PC. With this issue I suggested using Outlook Web access, which i know very little about besides having some experience from University Emails.

Is this the right method to use or is there an easier/better solution?

Chuck Norris

Distinguished Member
Who is their email provider now? If it's Virgin, they already have the ability to view their account on different devices, such as a tablet, smartphone & PC etc.

Do I need to make any changes to access my mail from multiple PC's or devices?

This depends on how you're accessing your email from multiple PC's or devices.

If you are using POP (which most e-mail software is configured to use) then read this help article for the changes you'll need to make:

How do I download mail from the same account on more than one PC or mobile device, using "recent" mo...

If you are using IMAP, or a combination of IMAP and webmail, on all of the PC's or devices then you should not have to change anything.

If you are using a combination of POP and IMAP then we would recommend configuring all the PC's or devices to use IMAP where possible. If your device does not support IMAP then configure POP for that device with recent: mode as described above.

If you are using webmail on multiple devices or machines, you don't need to enable recent: mode or make any other settings changes.

NTLworld.com Email Migration FAQ - Help & Support Forum

The Dude

Distinguished Member
So basically my Family have asked me to take their email system to the cloud. They are currently using Microsoft Outlook 2003 for their emails which is tied to one machine, they also have a service provided by Virgin Media that filter our emails before they arrive at their Outlook.

What I'm looking for is some help, either a user guide or product guide for setting up a cloud email service that they can use a email client on their devices and the ability to log in via a website.

With their current outlook once the emails are downloaded onto that PC they cannot be viewed on another PC. With this issue I suggested using Outlook Web access, which i know very little about besides having some experience from University Emails.

Is this the right method to use or is there an easier/better solution?

All you need to do is change some settings in Outlook on the PC.

Tools > Email Acounts > View/Change Email accounts > Change > More settings > Advanced

tick the box that says 'leave a copy of messages on the server'

you also have options for 'remove after so many days' and
'remove when deleted from deleted items'

the first option is purely down to your preference, the second option should probably always be ticked.

:)

AndyStella

Established Member
I don't know if the previous answers best meet your needs, but if they don't mind making a new E-Mail account, you could sign up for a hotmail account.

If you go to www.Mail.Live.Com at the bottom of the webpage is a link that says "Haven't got one?" or "Create One" and you can create a new hotmail, live or outlook account. You will then be able to view your E-Mail and get them to sync on your Android or Apple phone/tablet as well as view them online using www.Mail.Live.Com and logging in.

Hope this helps,

Andy

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom