Quantcast

Cloud Atlas

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
The Wachowskis and co-director Tom Tykwer have been working on an adaptation of Cloud Atlas, an ambitious adaptation of the book by David Mitchell, which tells six stories that span multiple continents and centuries.

Halle Berry, Hugh Grant, Tom Hanks, Susan Sarandon, Hugo Weaving, Ben Whishaw, James D'Arcy, and Jim Sturgess will play multiple roles in the film.

Synopsis of the novel by David Mitchell;
A reluctant voyager crossing the Pacific in 1850; a disinherited composer blagging a precarious livelihood in between-the-wars Belgium; a high-minded journalist in Governor Reagan's California; a vanity publisher fleeing his gangland creditors; a genetically modified “dinery server” on death-row; and Zachry, a young Pacific Islander witnessing the nightfall of science and civilisation — the narrators of Cloud Atlas hear each other's echoes down the corridor of history, and their destinies are changed in ways great and small.

Photo of Korean star Bae Doona (The Host), she will play Sonmi-451, a “genetically-engineered fabricant (clone).”

Concept Art

Behind the scenes photo - Tykwer, Lana Wachowski, and Andy Wachowski in the center. Mitchell is seated in the background, surrounded by producers on the film.

If you know the book, you'll also recognise props from the six interlinking tales. We've spotted the VW Beetle of crusading journo Luisa Rey (Berry), the '70s thriller that should inject serious voltage into the film's middle act (if you really know the book, you'll spot that it's drab green not rust orange).

Also on display are a pair of Chatham Island totems, a piano belonging to the composer of the ‘Letters from Zedelghem' chapters, some dystopian gadgetry from near-future Korea, and a cart that we're guessing gets used to carry post-apocalyptic veggies around Hawaii.

Last edited:

The One

Novice Member
The book is simply amazing, reccomend all to read..but anyone who read it will tell you that its gona be near on impossible to fit all the stories in 1 movie, I just can't see it being sufficent time to cover everything unless they go for an epic runtime

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Dr. Henry Goose (Tom Hanks) meets Meronym (Halle Berry), an emissary from an advanced civilization

Composer (Jim Broadbent) and his apprentice Robert Frobisher (Ben Whishaw)

Last edited:

liamt

Distinguished Member
could be interesting.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
I definitely have read this book but can't remember a damn thing about it other than the title and that it was a great read. :laugh:

liamt

Distinguished Member
looks awesome.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Beautiful! 5 minutes and I havent a clue what this is about, sounds like vintage Warchoswky.

The Warchowsky Bros may get too ambitious at times and fall over their feet but there is no denying their visual impact and style. I love their movies, Matrix, matrix 2, though Matrix 3 sucked. Speed Racer was an awesome, highly spirited cartoonesque spectacle, and V for Vendetta was one their smartest and perhaps the one film they didnt lose the plot. Havent seen Bound but I hear good things about that film too.

I would anticipate Cloud Atlas to be a glorious mess but with Run Lola's director joining in as co-director and writer, this might actually be a coherent adaptation...we'll see but regardless I am very pumped for it :)

Edit: I forgot they also made Assassins which I also enjoyed :)

Last edited:

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
That looked like 5 mins of complete garbage to me.
Just out of interest, may I ask what are your brief thoughts on Wachowskis' previous films (Matrix, Speed Racer, V for Vendetta, Bound, Assasins)? :)

zAndy1

Distinguished Member
Looks bloody amazing if you ask me

douki

Beautiful! 5 minutes and I havent a clue what this is about, sounds like vintage Warchoswky.
I was about to post the exact same thing. Hopefully it will turn out to be good and not too confusing. I haven't been able to get the trailer out of my head, it reminded me a little of The Fountain.

Just out of interest, may I ask what are your brief thoughts on Wachowskis' previous films (Matrix, Speed Racer, V for Vendetta, Bound, Assasins)? :)
You conveniently left out the Matrix sequels. :p

Like captainarchive so far I'm not impressed. Bound and The Matrix were great, Speed Racer made me want to rip out my eyeballs. The other two are meh.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
You conveniently left out the Matrix sequels. :p

Like captainarchive so far I'm not impressed. Bound and The Matrix were great, Speed Racer made me want to rip out my eyeballs. The other two are meh.
I'd agree here. When I was watching that trailer, I was fairly enthused about it until I saw that it was by the 'creators of the Matrix trilogy'. Then my heart sank.

The two Matrix sequels were complete and utter nonsense. V for Vendetta was good though.

brian s

Distinguished Member
I may have missed it but no one seems to have mentioned Tom Tykwer's films Run Lola Run and The Warrior And The Princess. Both of them are excellent. If he can bring any of the flair and style these had to this film then it should be worth a watch.

Bri

I may have missed it but no one seems to have mentioned Tom Tykwer's films Run Lola Run and The Warrior And The Princess. Both of them are excellent. If he can bring any of the flair and style these had to this film then it should be worth a watch.

Bri
Unfortunately he also made Heaven and The International, which were terrible.

QBSBuck

Novice Member
The trailer looks amazing. Off on hols tomorrow, looks like I just found my holiday read.

I haven't seen Heaven but I'm afraid you're quite correct on The International. I can't stand Clive Owen though so that didn't help it.

Bri
I love Clive Owen. It was just a total mess of a film.

...on the other hand I can't stand Halle Berry.

Last edited:

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member

Bri
I've mentioned him :( Its the reason why I think the film may have a chance to not fall over its feet in coherency ;)

I see why some of you dont like the trailer now, there is a sense of pretentiousness and overly sentimentality. That doesnt bother me at this point, though, in fact I like the sound of there being an emotive journey but at the very least, what I am excited about is the visual treat.