Closet Shelving DIY

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Simba, Aug 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Im wanting to build some shelving in the upstairs closet which is around 900x700mm.

My aim was to put together something using 19x45 redwood around 3 sides and ply for the shelf, simple. However, im pretty confident there is there no studs on either wall for me to secure the supports onto. Who knows why there isnt but since when do new builds follow logic.

There is some metal channel running straight up the centre of each wall and at the back corners as well as at the door architraves which is what my stud finder was picking up - a magnet however confirmed otherwise. There is no light switch in the closet nor is there a switch on the left wall of the adjoining bathroom. The bathroom has a tub located where the closet recesses in, and the taps are on the far end, doubt there is pipes on the closet back wall.

Im a bit hesitant to go down the metal cavity wall anchors route e.g. these which i used for the TV but i also screwed into studs. In fairness i used M5's for the curtain poles and they are solid. But for shelving...?

Anyway thoughts on best approach to go about this....use battens from the floor 3/4 of the way up on each corner using the anchors to secure them onto the drywall, and have noggins spaced horizontally and vertically to take the shelves?

some pics to make things a bit clearer:

This is the channel im sure im picking up near the architraves, this is from another room.
    20180804_205137_resized.jpg

closet recess into bathroom.
    20180804_222733_resized.jpg

closet.
    20180804_222642_resized.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  2. ufo550

ufo550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    You have a 'modern' metal stud wall. The metal channelling provides support for the plasterboard and method of fixing it. The metal channelling replaces wooden stud work, and 'allegedly' is stronger; in practicality it is cheaper & quicker to install in a new build, even if the wall wobbles a bit!

You can use the channelling to fix into (suitable self tappers) if its convenient, or use a suitable plasterboard fixings, such as the ones you've linked. Beware of services in the stud work!!

3. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    My only worry is buckling the metal stud, presumably I'd want to screw all the way through it.

My magnet is picking up the screws mounting the drywall to the metal stud quite easily. What would the metal studs themselves be fixed onto?

4. MrFraggle

MrFraggle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,717
    I doubt you will buckle the metal stud and as to what it is fixed to more metal top and bottom as in. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
  5. ufo550

ufo550

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +863
    The stud work is holding up the sheets of plasterboard, its quite robust & with the strength of the plasterboard won't buckle. You could screw into the stud with self tapping screws, similar to the ones used to fix the plasterboard.

As per MrFraggle pic, the stud is fixed to the floor & ceiling joists. Remember about avoiding the services!

6. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    ……….or, build a self standing unit with just a couple of wall fixings to prevent tipping over.

7. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Fixed around half of the supports last night. These metal studs are horrible to work with!! Removing and reusing screws into them is not very good at all, i had to opt for a larger screw as a couple failed to tighten up.

For the left side, i managed to use 2 drywall screws, one either end of a support, into a stud on either side and 2 M6 drywall anchors in the middle. The back wall has 1 screw into a stud and 2 anchors. For the right side i may just use 3 anchors.

Loaded up the top shelf with my drills and timber still be used aswell as various bits and bobs and its pretty solid!

Whats best to fix the plywood shelf to the timber? a nail gun? last thing i want is to split the ply or the supports by screwing into it!

8. MrFraggle

MrFraggle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,717
    Nail gun is a bit over the top so I would suggest screws makes it easier if you need to remove the shelf.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +821
    Hmmm...I think I may have a hard time using a dril driver given the clearance and thickness of the supports. I can make pilot holes on the
    shelf, not so sure on the supports as they are now fixed. Screwing directly in I think will split the wood...

Hence my thinking of the nail gun....i will need to buy one though....

10. MrFraggle

MrFraggle
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,717
  11. Simba

Simba

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: