closer the better?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ColdKilla, Sep 17, 2007.

1. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Have a 5.1 metre room and am banging a Panasonic ae1000 on the way and a 7ft screen - is it better to have the projector close to the screen and then zoom to enlarge the image or to position the projector at the back of the room and make it fit from there?

2. Critters

Critters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I don't think it will make a difference unless the screen you are using has a high gain and the closer projector would have a higher angle and bounce less light towards the people sitting. Most people mount at the back to keep it looking tidy and reduce the length of cable required (if you have all your boxes at the back of the room) there may be some noise issues mounting it in front of the viewer also? Not sure.

3. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Ideally you would try not to use any zoom at all.

4. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The further back the greater contrast, the further forward the brighter the image, but greater risk of CA (chromatic abberation. The minimum vertical and horizontal lens shift is better for the same reason (CA).
    A good compromise is mid way on the zoom.

5. sniffer66

sniffer66
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,722
    I see you have a Wii, so do I ! Wii on a PJ is great fun

The thing you want to check out is whether rear positioning will mean you are jumping around in front of the beam when playing tennis - its bloody annoying :D. Every time my wife serves she blocks half the screen out. And think what will happen with a Star Wars overhand WiightSabre move !

Playing behind the PJ prevents all that :smashin:

6. Sunshinewelly

Sunshinewelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    i am also a mid zoom man.

you get the benefit of both worlds.

7. u02ai

u02ai

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    :) projector central have a good review of the ptae1000 that you should read of interest is the quote below

"As far as installation options are concerned, really anything goes with the AE1000. The very long 2.0x zoom lens range, and three full picture heights of vertical lens shift provide more latitude for placement than any other 1080p model on the market. However, there is one important note of caution: The AE1000 produces its brightest images with the zoom lens set at its widest angle (shortest throw) setting. Moving the projector back as far as possible and using the extreme telephoto end of the lens reduces lumen output by 45%. Using the middle of the zoom range reduces brightness by about 25%. Thus, there is a trade-off between maximum recommended screen size and the maximum recommended throw distance for each screen size.

The manual horizontal and vertical lens shift range enables coffee table, rear-shelf, and ceiling mount deployment. In the neutral position the centerline of the lens intersects the middle of the projected image. From that point the image can be moved up or down one full picture height. Horizontal shift will allow for movement side to side of 0.5 picture widths. At the extreme ends of the shift ranges there is a drop in brightness uniformity along the far edges of the image, so if possible, it is best to avoid an installation that requires you to place the lens in those positions. "

they only mention any effect on the picture at the extreme edges of horizontal and vertical shift. I am in the same position as you and await delivery of a PTAE 1000. I had initially planned to have it far back as possible but now would probably put it close as possible on the widest zoom.

best advice is to try both setups and varying distances and see what looks best to you.............that what I plan to do:)