1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closeness v Resolution.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by A-Traveller, Jul 6, 2004.

1. A-Traveller

A-Traveller
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All.

For macros, the Nikon Coolpix 995 can get closer to the object than the 4500, however, the 4500 has a greater resolution than the 995.

My question is, which one should I buy for the best macros? This can be applied to any camera, so any general responses are welcomed; resolution or closeness for macros?

Thanks.

2. Juliesinar

Juliesinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi,

Sorry I don't know the answer to the Nikon 995/4500 question, my first ever digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 950 and I loved it's macro capabiities.

I would have thought you would have to factor focal length into the equation as well. Given the same shooting distances , the objects taken with a 80mm lens are going to be larger (closer in on the detail) than if they were shot with a 28mm lens.

If I remember correctly I used to have to zoom in to a specific focal length on my old 950 (I think until the macro flower icon changed from yellow to green) to use the macro facility, I'm not sure if you have to do that with the 995/4500, perhaps you can use macro throughout the zoom range, I don't know.

With SLR's you often get a ratio that reflects the macro capabilities in relation to life size. I have recently bought a Macro lens that is 1:1, which means can take images up to life size, it's a handy way of comparing the true macro capabilities of any lens.

Is there any way you could take a picture using each camera side by side, and then look on your computer or print out the images to see which gives the best quality?.

Hopefully someone else will be able to answer your question regarding which model would give better macro performance.

Julie