1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Closed threads...

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by shoehorn, Jun 9, 2005.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've been away for a week and have just been having a quick catch up.
    There was an interesting thread about closing threads early, from a week or so ago.
    I must say that I agree with those who think they should be left open.
    There must be others out there like me that are away, or just not on the forum for a couple of days, that may have something they wish to add.
    I thought that the internet, and indeed this forum, was about freedom of speech, etc., etc..
    To close a thread that could be of interest and is relative to the forum, within 42 hours, is a touch draconian, in my book.

2. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Well said that man ! :clap: ....just don't ask our opinion on compacts :nono:

3. RobertP

RobertP
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As photo forums go this one is pretty small and not that active. The reason I come here regularly is that you can get (and give) friendly advice without worrying some know it all is going to come along and put you down or flame you.

If you are wrong people will generally tell you so tactfully.

I think the moderation here is trying to preserve that atmosphere - avoiding my camera is better than yours type threads. So I can understand where the closures are coming from - that does not mean I agree with them.

I would prefer to see closures once the discussion had degenerated to a point where all would agree it was over... not closed in case it went bad. You can easily upset someone in text without intending to - what you would say to a mate face to face may read as an insult in text. Those sort of misunderstandings tend to sort themselves out.

So in short - I kind of agree with you, but I don't have a problem with it.

4. martynk

martynk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree. Some moderation is necessary, but shouldn't expose itself to suggestions of censorship. Try dpreview if you'd like to see some vicous accusations!

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mj

I find that funny coming from someone that hardly advices anybody to any other camera then a panasonic. I've adviced more people on the forum about compacts, and helped them choose the right one for them then you're ever likely to .

It's little snide remarks like yours that turn a thread. Give some advice (you dont unless pansonic is brought up) share your photos and listen to what people want rather then what you want that to have. Nearly always a panasonic.

When was the last time you posted? Got to be talking about a z3 or having a moan.

6. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Threads like this get no where in my experience probably the reason for...

Rule 13...[Members of these forums must not...]Question the judgments or actions of forum moderators. They are far too busy to enter into discussions or arguments.

7. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    For anyone who thinks that being a moderator is easy, let me advise them that it is far from that. It's a time consuming unpaid job where anyone can have a go at you, but you have to bite your tongue and try not to upset anyone. You are excluded from forum competitions as well. Sean does an excellent job as far as I'm concerned and gives good and honest advice.

8. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I find that funny coming from someone that hardly advices anybody to any other camera then a panasonic. I've adviced more people on the forum about compacts, and helped them choose the right one for them then you're ever likely to .

Shows how much attention you're paying Sean - I own a Panasonic and arrived at it after much research...try reading any Digital Camera magazine and you'll see the PROFESSIONAL reviewers award the FZ range best in class for ALL models (3, 5 & 20). I also often advise people to purchase the excellent Canon Ixus range and the Superb Olympus 765 & 770.

It's little snide remarks like yours that turn a thread. Give some advice (you dont unless pansonic is brought up) share your photos and listen to what people want rather then what you want that to have. Nearly always a panasonic.

I don't necessarily feel the need to show off my pictures to everyone else - I'm very comfortable with the standard of picture I capture and this is bourne out by the fact the I won the Photo of the Month comp with only my 2nd entry - Have you managed to have your entry voted the best by your peers on the forum ?....What people want is advice - my advise is simply why waste £1000 on a piece of equipment they are likely to be unable to get the best from (in many cases) when for £200 they can get a fantastic all rounder that will in MOST situations give them superb results and give them the disire to grow their hobby and then take it to the next level. I also would never intentially post anything that would be offensive to another forum member.

When was the last time you posted? Got to be talking about a z3 or having a moan.

Wrong on both counts - It was to praise the member who started this thread stating that people should have the wright to express their views on photography issues regardless of whether they happen to correspond with those who have ability to close the discussion.

Please try not to be so sensitive - just because people have different opinions to your own it doesn't mean they are having a personal attack on you they are just writing their thoughts down to let others benefit from their experiences which surely is the whole reason these forums exists.

As in most aspects of life there isn't always a wright or wrong just different perspectives on an issue - it's down to the individual to look at the differing viewpoints and then make a judgement for themselves.

Good discussion of issues is very healthy and helpfull and i'm sure the people who write the original posts are very appreciative of those who take the time to share their knowledge with them.

It would be a very dull world if we all had the same opinions on subjects :)

9. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Mj really now come on, do you really think that because i've not won a comp i dont know anything about photograpahy, that is very simplistic view and there's people out there like john and jami being published, that have not won it, it's just a friendly comp and has nothing to do with slr or compacts dont use it to try and validate your claim. I know your view on slrs well enough that you've never had one makes me take you less seriously when giving advice on them, as it takes some time and investment in time and lenses to get the best from them. It's the ulitimate in presumption to say most end up on a shelf gathring dust and most people dont know how to use them.

My hole point is, i don't try to make people choose a camera, i listen to what they require and point them in the direction of the camera that will cover their needs. It's then up to them to decide what they do with it. 90% of the time it's a compact, this forum is still pretty much compact based i've not had a compact for a while, but i'll still sit here doing the reasearch for people when they ask. I'm not biased or every other word would be get a dslr.

I've yet to come acroos a person that feels they've wasted a £1000 on their camera, i spent that on a lens and i'll be doing it again shortly.

Waste is a waste, at £200 or £2000 i've spent a lot of time on ths forum trying to help people get the right camera for them. Not what i would have, but what will suit them.

That's about it.

Don't think me rude now mj, but i've said all i'm going to say on the subject. So if i dont reply mate. It's simply because i've said about all i can on it.

Thanks

sean

10. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    This is very hard to do, and one of the reasons I stopped moderating because I let myself get drawn into arguments where I should have been completely impartial.

I think this raises another interesting question:
    Should moderators moderate forums which they have an avid interest in?

If they do, I can see them easily getting drawn into arguments and biting at sly comments, *but* I think the moderation they will do will be done better due to their knowledge and love of the subject.

If they don't, they won't bother participating in the forum, just moderate it, a lot more impartial, and possibly worse due to ignorance? (I can't see this last one, I can't think of any mod rules that depend on in depth subject knowledge unless they've changed?)