Close wall positioning not working with larger speakers, will small bookshelfs fix it?

Lanus

Standard Member
Afternoon all.

I've been using the AE Aego M 2.1 PC speaker setup for many years now which i was quite happy with but the volume control has finally failed on me as they all seem to do. I have an old pair of Bose 301 Music Monitor-II speakers that sound quite decent when positioned properly, unfortunately when positioned as my PC speaker system they're not so good and sound closed in and dull. The positioning is right up against a corner wall in a 12' x 16' room, centres of the speakers are 52" apart and the fronts about 43" from my ears and this positioning can't really change much. The right speaker has to be almost flush with the corner wall which muddies the bass, especially when sitting up that close. So my question, if i get some small bookshelf speakers such as the Q Acoustics 3010 or DALI Spektor 1, will that largely fix the issues? Will they be much clearer in that close positioning and seating arrangement?

Thanks, Martin.

dogfonos

The Bose 301 Music Monitor-II are unusual speakers so difficult to predict how they're likely to sound in different positions. Can't be certain but I suspect smaller speakers with a more conventional drive unit arrangement (like the QA 3010 and Dali Spektor 1 you mention) will sound better.

Are the Bose speakers positioned on a desk? Have you tried positioning with midrange/tweeters on the inside? Also try turning speakers up on end so midrange/tweeters on top. Were the AE satellite speakers similarly positioned? Could you possibly position the proposed new small speakers further from walls? What amp is driving the Bose speakers. Will same amp also power the QA or Dali or similar speakers?

centres of the speakers are 52" apart and the fronts about 43" from my ears
Would be even better if these distances were equal but not too bad as is.

The obvious - and I think best approach - is to use powered speakers (unless you have a nice amp you wish to make use of). And if budget allows, not just powered speakers but powered active speakers such as these gems:

Even cheaper powered active speakers...
Tannoy Reveal 402 active studio monitor (per unit) for sale | Bax Music (NB sold as a single speaker)

Unsure if any of these suggestions will give the bass you had with your AE 2.1 setup but this will:
Edifier S350DB Wireless Bluetooth iMac/PC/Gaming 2.1 Subwoofer Speakers System 6923520265657 | eBay (Good price too).

Lanus

Standard Member
The amp used is a Rotel RA-971 MKII which i'm pretty sure that's a good 'un for the needs. The Bose speakers are to the sides of the desk and i've tried different orientations. The only thing that helps quite a bit was turning the corner speaker in towards me slightly even tho the tweeters are at the top with the current orientations.

The Edifer is the only one i'm considering in the old 2.1 style and i expect would work well at close range. Do you think the Dali's would sound considerably better, ignoring any placement issues?

Doctors11

My guess would be that a sealed speaker would work better here. Maybe the Arendal 1961 bookshelf. Also if you could somehow incorporate some room correction that should help too.

dogfonos

Definitely worth trying all the positioning options you can think of with the Bose speakers.

The Edifer is the only one i'm considering in the old 2.1 style and i expect would work well at close range. Do you think the Dali's would sound considerably better, ignoring any placement issues?
Yes, the Edifiers should work well close up. I haven't heard any of the speakers under consideration so I can't say which will likely sound best. And personal preferences play a big part too. I would imagine that the Edifiers will be closer to the sound of your old AE 2.1 setup. The bass you heard with the AE 2.1 set, and indeed the Bose speakers, will probably not be available from small bookshelf speakers like the Dali or QA speakers mentioned. Depends how important bass is for you. It's not just about bass; the 2.1 Edifiers are very well reviewed speakers overall and Edifier has a reputation for value.

Seems a shame not to make use the Rotel amp (assuming it's a decent amp) - having said that, you weren't using it with the AE 2.1 setup? You could opt for the Dali or QA or similar passive speakers to use with the Rotel amp then add a competent subwoofer at a later date should you find the bass lacking. The BK Electronics gemini is often recommended on these forums:

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom