Close GOTO1..EncountersGOTO2...

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Brian H, May 29, 2001.

1. Brian H

Brian H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well my copy of Close Encounters R1 has arrived and my ever faithful (not) Wharfey - doesn't seem too keen on the extras disc..loads fine but choosing any of the features stops the machine & you have to play the guess the chapter game..all that aside it's a cool addition to my collection - dts is very ba..ba..ba..ba..basey.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Brian,

There's an easy solution to this problem. No disrespect, but.....

DON'T GET CONNED INTO BUYING A CHEAP-END DVD PLAYER, AND EXPECT IT TO PLAY EVERY SINGLE R1 DVD!

No matter what the reviews in the magazine's get, people still seem to be under this illusion that paying £200 for a multi-region Samsung, Wharfdale or whatever, will set them up with a quality machine. Then as soon as they start importing R1 discs, the forums, magazines and websites fill up with angry people saying "X title won't play properly on my DVD machine!" or "I can't get the extras disc of Y title to play the Special Effects Fetaurette!" or some such thing!

Sorry, but all I can say is tough! Sell the DVD machine, and buy a decent Panasonic or Sony machine instead. It may cost another £100 to £150, but at least they play every single DVD yet released, including RCE encoded discs! (Providing the machine is region-selectable, that is, via the handset!)

Please people, stop paying for cheapo machinery! You wouldn't buy a Mini, and expect the performance of a Porsche, so don't expect a Samsung to be the same as a multi-region Sony!! It won't be!

Pooch