1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close encounters

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by spocktra, Apr 29, 2005.

1. spocktra

spocktra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Collecters edition 2 disc £5.99 at choices direct

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    If they ever produce a version with the "full" ending branched into the film (the bit where he's inside the mother ship) I may purchase it (again), until then :thumbsdow

Still, for this sort of money it's fairly academic I suppose.

Good spot...PJ :smashin:

3. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  4. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    I think the film works so much better without the extended ending, but I agree it would have been nice to have a branching option there.

Thanks to the OP - a mate has been after this at a good price and I'll pass this on to him.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    The sequence inside the mothership brought the proceedings to a dead halt. The original (now restored) ending where he walks into the ship and it ascends skyward is much more effective.

For the record Speilberg inserted the "inside" footage against his will. When he approached Columbia about tweaking the movie to get it nearer to his original vision, they said they would bankroll it, but that his revisions were too minor to justify a re-release. The studio suggested the "inside" ending and would only agree to finace the movie if they had that as a marketing tool.

Reluctantly Speilberg agreed, but has wisely decided to remove it for this definitive edition. It's on the extras disc with the other deleted scenes for anyone that misses it.

6. Marc

Marc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,081
    the stupid thing is, on the back of the box it says "the film was re-edited by Steven Spielberg in 1980 and re-released as The Special Edition, including the now-famous final scenes inside the mothership. Now for the first time on DVD, Spielberg's 1997 definitive cut, the Collector's Edition, has been remasrered from the best existing film elements..."

i kinda took this to mean that the mothership ending was in the movie but when i watched it a few months ago i realised that wasn't the case. I reckon this dvd will be in my sale pile next time i run out of shelf space cos i didn't rate the movie that highly.