1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close Encounters Superbit - Original or Extended?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by KraGorn, Dec 9, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Movietyme are listing the Superbit version of one of my favourite films but it does call itself the 'special edition' or whatever. Does anyone know if this is really just the original, hacked version or the complete later Special Edition?

2. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Speilberg claims the currently available version (the 3rd version of the movie) is his definitive cut, so it's quite likely that this is the same version that will be on the Superbit edition.

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hmmm .. I got a 'normal' copy some weeks ago and it was the original with the extra scenes added as extra material separate from the feature .. really bummed, that's a bloody awful way to present the 'deleted scenes'.

Maybe I'll risk it .. :confused:

Cheers.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    No, the version on DVD is not the original. It is Spielberg's third cut of the movie. The deleted scenes fall into three categories:

1. Scenes removed from the original version of the movie.
    2. Scenes removed from the first early '80s special edition of the movie (mainly the scenes inside the mothership).
    3. Scenes that never made it into any version of the movie.

Spielberg was never happy with the first cut of the movie and wanted to make a few nips and tucks to it. These revisions were minor edits and slightly alternate versions of a few existing scenes.

When he approached Columbia they suggested also adding something substantial enough to warrant a cinema re-release and the idea of "see what's inside the mothership" was born. Spielberg was never happy with this compromise, and rightly so. It is anti climactic and interrupts the emotional flow of the closing moments of the movie. Effectively it kills it stone dead.

The movie is far more effective when Neary just walks up the ramp and the ship leaves with him. So for the DVD release the main revision is the removal of the entire inside sequence and the movie now ends as it did in the original release.

This version prepared by Speilberg for DVD is intended as the definitive cut of the movie.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry, totally disagree, that's one of the scenes I really like. Without it frankly I never connected Neary going into the ship with the alien that then emerges, there was nothing to suggest a transformation IMO it was only seeing the "Special Edition" which made that connection for me.

If it's not there then I'll not be buying it.

Thanks, saved me some money in a vain hope it was the full version.

6. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    :confused:

Tranformation? You think Neary turned into the alien or something? Sorry, but no. And what exactly is in the "inside" sequence that would lead you to think this?

The original version was in circulation for approximately four years before the first "special edition" was released, and in all that time I never met anyone who was in any doubt that Neary went on to the ship and one of the occupants then came out. And since the release of the special edition I have never known anyone to draw that conclusion. Bizarre.

New spectacles for you this Xmas I think...

The scene was totally superfluous and was nothing more than a marketing ploy by the studio - an extra piece of eye candy so they could get a second cinema release out of the movie. It totally destroys the pacing and impact of one of SF cinema's most emotionally affecting moments.

But whether I think that , or you disagree with me isn't important. What is important is that Speilberg is of the same opinion, and the first opportunity he had, he whipped the scene out and restored his intended ending.

Maybe someday down the line he'll release all three versions in a nice boxed set and then everyone will be happy.

7. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Of course I knew he went INTO the ship. :rolleyes:

I didn't realise the alien that's seen coming OUT right afterwards is supposed to be Neary transformed into an alien! That understanding only came about when I saw the "inside the ship" sequence when he gets showered with light.

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Sorry just realised what you meant on re-reading. See above revised reply. My "Special Edition"! :D

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Okay, then in that case the director utterly failed to convey a 'meaning' ... I did just say what in that extra footage led me to that belief, if indeed that isn't what Speilberg was getting at then I'm left baffled as to what he was trying to say. :confused:

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    It's quite simple. The flood of light is a piece of directorial sleight-of-hand; a means of transition from a scene that was never meant to be in the movie, back in to the original footage.

The "meaning" is simple. It was there in the original cut and it is now in the current third cut. Neary leaves with the aliens and before they depart, an E.T. comes off and makes one to one contact with a human and shows comprehension of the contact protocol.

Can't see the problem.

11. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    The current releases have a pretty high bit rate and comes with DTS, so I don't understand what would be gained by a so called 'superbit' release.

I think this is just another pathetic marketing exercise, and I don't think it's worth getting unless your a 'Close Encounters' nut, present company accepted ;)

12. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Forget it, sorry I asked.

13. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I think the sound can be improved. This is my all time favourite
    film - went to see it at the Odeon, Leicester square during it's
    first week of release with my school's Film club. What an experience!
    I am happy with the current release and will wait for the feedback
    regarding the sound quality on the superbit version before deciding whether to get it or not.

14. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    The Soundtrack sounds great on my R1 copy, my house nearly fell down when Neary gets his lovely sun tan.

BTW, how did you come to the conclusion that neary was transformed into an alien? I though it was pretty obvious that neary was basically being an exchange student with the alien. no offense

15. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    That's fair comment, but I wouldn't bank on them re-doing the sound mix for the superbit release. I was just making the point that with superbits, you always get a DTS track, but the original release has it anyway.

16. MC Hammer

MC Hammer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Got the R1 - DTS version & imho the PQ is poor.

Unless they are doing the superbit version from a new print it will be a waste of time.Well waste of monet anyway !

Wait for the reviews !