1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close Encounters Of The Thirdkind SE 2 Disc DTS R2 £4.99 @ HMV

Discussion in 'Shopping, Deals, Discounts & Bargains' started by TheCrow, Apr 13, 2005.

1. TheCrow

TheCrow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Picked this up in my local HMV for £4.99.

It's avaliable online but there is a delevery charge.

Close Encounters

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Good spot.

Wish they'd employed seamless branching to the extended ending though, rather than having is as a separately viewable portion. Seem to remember the extra bit is non anamorphic too... :thumbsdow

...PJ

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,902
    What exactly do you mean? as I thought the version of the film on the disc was the full extended edition in Anamorphic Widescreen.
    I have it but havent had a chance to watch it yet but you make it sound like the extended ending is viewed seperately and not as part of the film?

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Haven't watched it for a while, hence I can't be definitive.
    But from memory the extended mother ship ending, where he goes inside, is included as a deleted scene as I recall.
    Reading the notes on the back of the DVD, it clearly states that this is the extended version with the final scenes in the mothership. Hence I can't say why I got this impression, I just recall being disappointed. I'll have to have another quick watch of the ending sometime to refresh my memory...
    ..PJ :)

5. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    This is what it says on HMV's website:

"...This is his most preferred cut and features plenty of new footage that was never seen in the previous special edition version..."

"...The film was re-edited by Steven Spielberg in 1980 and re-released as the special edition, including the now famous final scenes inside the Mothership. Now for the first time on DVD the best existing film elements have been re-mastered and digitally enhanced in High Definition format to present the film’s sound and visual effects at their verybest."

6. partyweb

partyweb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +529
    From HMV with delivery its £6.39.

Its available delivered here:

Dotcomdvd £5.25
    http://www.dotcomdvd.com/details.asp?pID=58374&i=100017242&state_sessionid=qbifhwxbktuwtqkgzakdyotlmcbbisegibabzfscyhsofurncy

Choices Direct £5.99
    http://www.choicesdirect.com/templates/product.asp?ProductGuid=652254

This is what Amazon.co.uk says (they are selling it for £20.96 :eek: ):

"CE3K is packaged here with confusing documentation that fails to make clear any differences between earlier versions of the film and this "Collector's Edition"--worse, the back cover blurb misleadingly implies that this disc is the 1980 "Special Edition" edit. It is not. A gorgeous anamorphic widescreen print of Spielberg's 1998 "Collector's Edition" edit occupies the first disc: this is the version with the original theatrical ending restored but new scenes from the "Special Edition" retained.

The second disc rounds up sundry deleted scenes that were either dropped from the original version or never made it into the film at all--fans of the "Special Edition" can find the mothership interior sequence here. The excellent "making-of" documentary dates from 1997 and has interviews with almost everyone involved, including the director speaking from the set of Saving Private Ryan. Thankfully the superb picture and sound of the feature make this set entirely compelling and more than compensate for the inadequate packaging."

7. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks, that's in line with what I recall. It seemed to be a "semi" extended version, with some of the extended scenes present and others which were relegated to deleted scenes status.

Missed opportunity if you ask me, but at the discounted price it's still a bargain. And of course it leaves room for a subsequent "Definitive" extended edition. ;)

...PJ

8. Red1

Red1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    This version is the same as the 1980 SE release minus the mothership scenes.The reason for this is Spielberg felt the film did not need these scenes as it was the studio that requested them when he was doing the re-edit then.

So when this collectors edition was put together spielberg removed the mothership scenes and this is what he regards as the definitive 'Directors Cut' of the movie.

If you watch the documentary on disc 2 he comments about how he wish he had not put these scenes in,the doc. was made prior to this edition of the film being edited.

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,902
    Thanks for sorting that out, I watched the trailer on Disc 2 and it was talking about the re-release with the new ending so thought the version of the film would be that but guess not.

10. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    Thanks Red
    That explains all...PJ
    Edit: other than why the packaging is so misleading! :)