1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Close Encounters NOT Special Edition

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by delta, Jun 25, 2001.

1. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Region 2 Close Encounters of the Third Kind is not the special edition in spite of it being quoted on the back of the cover. However the deleted scenes are on the second disc.

2. fishyben

fishyben

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember reading somewhere that it was the original version and not the SE, as this is the way the speilberg wanted the the film to be seen and that he never liked or wanted to really show the SE ending.

And its good marketing 'again' as we can all rush out and buy SE version when thats released in the future 'probably'.

3. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    It's the "Collectors Edition", same as the vhs that came out a couple of years ago and it's different to the "original theatrical version" and the "Special edition" in that it's got additional scenes that weren't in the original release, and it loses the nasty "inside the spaceship" special edition ending which was just awful and destroyed all the mystery of Roy Neary's trip into outer space with the benevolent aliens. Personally I prefer this version to either of the others, and if you were to read Spielbergs own novelisation from his screenplay then you'd know he never intended to show inside the spaceship as it's not there in the book, which would have been written long before the film was released in order to get the book into the shops to tie-in with the theatrical release.
    If they did ever release the Special Edition on Dvd, which they won't as this "Collectors Edition" is Spielbergs definitive archive print of the film, I wouldn't buy it. It was released originally quite a while before the home video boom and so the best way to prolong the life of a movie and get bums back into seats was to re-release it, in this case with extra footage to guarantee the extra cash in the bank. Thing is, Spielberg is such a big cheese in Hollywood now that he can afford to go back and rectify the mistakes that were made first time round and release the version he prefers. Good in this case, but what's he going to do with the Indiana Jones films and the comedy nazi's he now despises since making Schindlers List? Maybe there's such a thing as too much power

4. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rambo John - That was interesting reading, thanks for making things clear. I was just pointing out to others that the credits list on the back of the sleeve does quote Special Edition which, of course, it is not. I prefer the non-special version and now I look forward to seeing this edition.

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

It's not the Original version

It's not the Special Edition

It's a new Special Edition (different editing etc, that includes the dropping of the inside of the spaceship scene)

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the DVD itself is a special edition :D

7. Koosnaff

Koosnaff
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased the region 1 version of this excellent, if dated movie. I have scoured the cover, and there is no mention whatsoever of a 'special edition' so that wording must only feature on the R2 version.

I too agree that the Special Edition ending kinda spoiled it, and I heard a rumour at the time that it was the film company, and not Steven Spielberg's descision to release, it as sometimes happens.

8. Dirk 2

Dirk 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UK packaging clearly states "collectors addition".

It is a new cut of the film which increase plot development. Additional scenes are as follows: Roy Nearey's subsequent obsession with UFO's. USAF press conference deying UFO activity. Public reaction to Barry's abduction. Further scenes of Roy making mud pies in his lounge and ****ing off his wife.

The "inside the mothership" ending is gone and good riddance to it.

The documentary on the supplemantary disk is excellent. These guys were really pushing back the frontiers of SFX in this movies. Some of the alien test scenes are fascinating.

I still rate this film, although Spielberg himself has moved on. Personally, if I had a family and wife such as that depicted, I'd be trying to thumb a lift with any passing aliens.

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    I just got the UK disc lunchtime, the £14.99 pricetag swung it in WH Smiths, and it doesn't actually say it's the Special Edition although it does give a brief history of the versions released, which if you read it quick might lead you to believe that it's the Special Edition in the box.

10. Mr_Talentless

Mr_Talentless

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you read the credits on the reverse of the box it does state that it's the Special Edition.

Errors like this appear to be more prevalent than ever on music, video and DVD packaging. Nobody pays attention to detail, but I suppose to the designers it is little more than monkey work having to revisit designs of old.