Cloning C: drive

mahutchinson

Standard Member
I want to upgrade my C: drive by cloning it to a larger disk. It has only Windows and other applications on it, no data.

Has anyone done this successfully and, if so, what software was used ? Also, do you need to re-register Windows with Microsoft ?

I have tried to use Maxtor's software to copy the information but can't install it due to some issue with, I think, anti-virus software.

I expect answers will instead recommend re-installing everything on a clean disk.

rorackowe

I have used "acronis true image" several times. It works fine. No need to re register windows (with any disk cloning software). It's commercial software though so will be £30 or so.

I have also once used the command "robocopy" to copy the contents of one disk to another. I looked up the settings to do this online and literally copied all the files and folders from one disk to another. This was either vista or windows 7. I then used the windows installation disk to repair the installation and it worked fine.

peebly

A bit more information would be helpful like operating system.

But if your using windows 7 go to back up and restore then create a system image.

You don't need to pay anything or use any 3rd party software.

mudddy

Sorry to butt in on this, but I'm also presently doing a backup of my system on Win 7 to create an image to move to a larger drive.

However the drive i'm backing up is the C drive which is 200gb in size, its now been 2 days since the backup process started and until now its done approx 80% of the the C drive.
I honestly can't believe its taking so long, is this normal?

Just to add, i'm not using any 3rd party software.

Last edited:

paulktreg

Have a look on the website of your HDD manufacturer. They often have software for just this purpose.

paulktreg

Its a Hitachi Deskstar don't think they have any such thing.

You would have to pick Hitachi! :laugh:

They do however point you in the right direction on their General FAQs page.

"How do I make an exact copy my old hard and put in on the new hard drive?"

Hope that helps?

mudddy

Apologies again to OP to use his thread like this.

My backup via windows & finally completed I've tried to go through the process via recovery disk, but having a problem at this stage.

2nicsgn.jpg

The option to choose a drive is offering to install on the whole of the new drive rather than a specific partition which I have created on it. How can I choose the the appropriate partition?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom