Clone your OSX and put it to a new machine.[HELP]

iAlex

Banned
Could someone tell me what is the easiest option to clone my OSX and put it to a different machine. Would like all the setting to be the same etc, basically a perfect clone. Would a time machine backup restored to a new machine work?

Cheers

spudtator

Just a thought, would there be issues moving over a 'cloned' system from e.g. an iMac to a MacBook?

RobM

Distinguished Member
SuperDuper! free and highly recommended.

I'd vote for this too! Worked a treat the last few times I've used it.

I use it when upgrading HDD's in Mac's... I clone the original to the new one, connected via USB or Firewire and then when finished, simply swap them physically.

CamFire

Distinguished Member
State what the "source" and "destination" Macs are and we'll see if this will work cleanly.

+1 for SuperDuper!

iAlex

Banned
CarbonCopyCloner I will use, thanks guys what type of image shall I create?I did ReadOnly, or Sparse?

technowizard

Why don't you clone the drive using Disk utility?

stuart07970

I can't recommend SuperDuper! highly enough!

I also use it as part of my back up routine with 4 1TB internals,
(2 off site, 2 on site) along with my Time Capsule for incremental back ups.:smashin:

With SD! you can also schedule back ups and with its Smart Update feature,
you don't have to wipe the drive and start from scratch every time.

Last edited:

deksawyer

I've used CCC a number of times (and donated some cash) and it's really easy.

• Clone with CCC directly to new drive
  • Boot with new drive to check everything if OK
  • Swap drives over and boot from new drive, as normal

Everything should be as it was before, but you're using your new drive...

I actually use CCC to clone daily to an external drive, as well as using TM just in case I need to restore and one of the backups has gone pear shaped (it has happened before).

D.

James.1

Just a thought, would there be issues moving over a 'cloned' system from e.g. an iMac to a MacBook?

Only issue here is if you are cloning to a newly released Mac as it will likely contain drivers that are not on your old system. In this you would have to wait for the next point release before you could switch your OS around in this fashion.

iAlex

Banned
I made a backup using CCC and I have it now on a external HDD, the only problem is that the image disk (name it backup) is now called backup.sparesimage instead of backup.dmg is that OK to restore it from the sparse image?

Cheers.

D

Deleted member 27989

I just use migration assistant. Hook the two up via FireWire 800 and away you go :)

andyk

I recommend using migration assistant. I like to avoid third party stuff where there is a standard Apple option.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom