1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clone mode on dual monitor set up

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by MarkHudds, Apr 13, 2004.

1. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Probably being really thick here (but I'll ask anyway!) ...

Just installed a brand new Radeon 9800 Pro :D and I'm having trouble with the dual monitor set up.

Display 1 is set to 1366x768 for a PJ (VGA socket)
    Display 2 is set to 1280x720 for a LCD monitor (DVI socket with VGA adaptor)

Display 1 is set to 'primary display' and Display 2 has 'extend desktop' checked.

Display 1 is fine, however Display 2 only shows the Windows XP wallpaper with no desktop icons or applications running on Display 1.

What else do I need to do to get a clone of Display 1 on Display 2? I don't want to do anything clever like have different applications running on different screens - I simply want both monitors showing the same thing all the time (like a VGA splitter!)

I'm using the latest Catalyst drivers (4.4) and XP SP1.

Cheers guys.

2. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmm, it's not always the most obvious thing to do, Mark - particularly, as I just found, when you've not done it in a while...

Anyway, here you go :)

Right-click your desktop (to get Display Properties)
    On Display Properties, click 'Advanced'
    On the new box (RADEON 9800 SERIES Properties - or something similar), click on the 'Displays' tab
    If the second of your displays is disabled, the icon next to the display's name (in my case, TV) will be red. If this is the case, click once to enable (turning the icon blue-green)
    Within the box for each display there are two more icons - the left-hand button (concentric circles) will switch that display to be the primary monitor; the right-hand button will clone the primary display.

Job done.

Oh, just click 'Apply' :laugh:

:beer:

3. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for that Andy.

I've now managed to clone the primary display, however the secondary display is defaulting to a resolution of 1024x768 and 60hz refresh. It's setting this in the box for the secondary display in the 'Display' tab of the Catalyst drivers.

It seems to be ignoring any setting made on the normal resolution slider, infact if I do change it now for the secondary display and click apply, it goes back to the previous resolution (which was being ignored anyway!).

Any ideas?

:confused:

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Which is the exact same problem I have been having for weeks now and just cannot sort it. Consensus seems to be that the Catalyst drivers post v3.6 are to blame. I keep meaning to load an old version and see if that fixes it but have not found the time yet (or inclination in case I bu99er it up completely).

Good luck. Please do keep us posted and I will do the same if I do find a fix.

5. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Messiah, good to know it's not just me!

It's annoying as I had 3.6 installed prior to upgrading my card to the 9800 Pro. I just thought I'd upgrade to 4.4 at the same time! Good advert for "it it ain't broke ... etc "

You can change the resolution if you set 'Extend desktop' but obviously that turns off the clone mode option.

I might try removing 4.4 and going back to 3.6 tonight and let you know the results.

When you say 'consensus', are you referring to any other forum posts etc as I personally can't find any mention of this problem on ATI's site or the Sapphire Forum??? You would think that if ATI 'broke it' after 3.6, they would have fixed it by now after another 8 releases!!!

andy572 - have you experienced this at all?

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  7. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Update ...

Received this reply from a moderator on the rage3D forum ...

"You cant clone them AND have different resolutions, they have to match either physically or via virtual desktop"

Anyone know any different?

8. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    That's not true. Before I upgraded the catalyst drivers a few weeks back (maybe longer) I used the clone option and not only had different resolutions for the monitor and pj but also had it where the resolution was automatically changed (by the PC) when I switched between VGA and DVI usig Alt+F5.

Therefore I know for certain it can be done but not sure whether possible on any Catalyst drivers post 3.6. I really must back date my drivers to get it working this way again.

9. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Messiah - another response (this time from Sapphire support, and I think they meant 'clone' rather than 'cone'!) :-

"In 'cone' mode, you can only have the same resolution as your primary
    display - it is an exact replication of what is being shown on the
    primary display and a limitation of the card. You can, however, set the
    secondary display as an 'extended desktop', which will allow you control
    over its resolution. Please do this from: display properties->
    settings-> advanced-> select the second monitor and check the 'extend my
    windows desktop to this monitor' tick box."

One of us needs to go back to 3.6 to prove you're not going mad!

10. andy572

andy572
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    At this time, I can't add anything to the above words and experiences, I'm afraid, Mark.

Using my second-hand 9000 Pro in the middle of last year, I used a late-ish revision of the drivers and following discovery of the same result as yourself, took 'clone' to mean just that.

I then switched to the 'extended desktop' that you mention; but ultimately found it to be a little unwieldy and, just occasionally, problematic. Having said that, the problems were generally small (e.g. some Web site pop-up windows refused to open on the monitor) and could be non-existent, depending on the setup and software used.

In the main, I now use a single monitor and use 'Switch amongst displays', whenever I wish to use the Radeon on the television.

Would a move-around of certain applications/their windows (used with 'extended desktop' and Hydravision) absolutely not be 'doable'? Not ideal, I know - but just a thought, should there be no forthcoming solution to the clone/independent refresh issue... :)

11. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Mark

Just checked an old thread of mine (http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91527&highlight=catalyst) and the way I had it working was "It is now even better than before in that previously I had to use Alt+F5 to switch displays then a Powerstrip key stroke to switch resolution to suit the display. However, now, a real bonus, which ever res I choose it automatically sends it to the output and screen which supports it. One less key combination to worry about."

12. CAS

CAS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    When I first set up dual displays, My resolution and refresh rate were locked because the second monitor was using the "Default Monitor" Driver (Or whatever it's called). Each display has settings for maximum refresh rate and resolution (defined in the driver .Inf file) which it will not let you go over. You can manually set these maximum values in the displays control panel if you don't have the proper driver .Inf file for your monitor.

CAS

13. mholgate

mholgate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MarkHudds,

Did you eventually have any luck setting two-different resolutions across the displays using Clone Mode?

14. MarkHudds

MarkHudds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Unfortunately not, I gave up in the end!

I'm using powerstrip (and the /R command in zoomplayer) now to launch applications on the second display at the correct resolution/refresh, works a treat.

Another alternative I considered was to use Hydravision which uses 'extended desktop' and therefore allows different res/refresh across displays. Not tried this though!

I'd still be interested in knowing if anyone gets the clone mode working though (I hate giving up, but I've got a life!)

Mark.

15. iansimpson888

iansimpson888

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Just a thought, but you could try running vnc through loopback on monitor two using hydra vision. Might work. I'll give it a whirl when I get chance.

16. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Still not had a chance myself either. One other thing that is strange though is despite having a proimary and secondary display, if I click the identify button both the LCD monitor (VGA) and the pj (DVI) identify themselves as Monitor 1. Very strange.

I may just live with it as it is because it simply means I have tio run my LCD monitor (1280x768) at 1280x720 res. Not a huge problem, just not quite as sharp as it should be but it's only the display monitor. The pj is the important one tbh.