Clocking hours on a Panny

Cardiff Irons

Standard Member
Reaction score
New PWD7 is on the wall and looking the biz - paranoia has already set in regarding screen burn so all settings set to minimum and kids banned from watching MTV (damn logos). So, just the 200 hours to patiently endure.

So, just how do people know how many hours they've clocked on a plasma? Is there a counter on the unit that tells you or do people just tot it up in their heads? I read on a thread recently that someone's plasma has now clocked up 400 hours - I can't believe someone would just "know" that (I can see an Excel spreadsheet coming).

And if this is a dumb question, remember I'm still a relative newbie so I've got no street cred to lose! :)

On my PW7 you can access the service menu by pressing and holding down the volume - button on the panel and pressing the button on the remote just under the red standby button three times very quickly... this will then tell you the number of hours.

Obvious really :smashin:

If you hold down the volume button on the panel and hit the button under the power button on the remote quickly three times you should see a menu appear on the panel.

Go to SD options and it gives you the number of times the screen has been turned on and also the number of hours.

Still got a long way to go to hit the 200 hour mark myself! :)

Many thanks deleted member. I obviously haven't read the instructions well enough!! :eek:

Problem I'm having at the moment is I have new DVD recorder, new screen and new amp - it's bad enough learning about one bit of new technology let alone 3!!!

Same as you Cardiff to much new technology -
Would I be right in assuming its the same procedure for the Panny TH-50PHD7??

Same for all panasonic panels. Don't mess with the settings in there, especially the remote control one just under the hours meter. Mr Irons, I know paranoids have enemies too, but you are way over cautious. Someone challenge me if I'm wrong here, but nobody has burned their panasonic on this forum.

nope and I wasn't that careful at all

Thanks for that Maw
Not concerned with screen burn - but advised to be cautious for first 200 hours -
colour/contrast/brightness running at -10
now have 139 hours

is it actually really neccessary to run in the screen at low brightness levels or is it just major paranoia on peoples parts? my screen turns up today !!!!!!! YYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

largely paranoia IMO, just avoid dynamic mode and leaving bright logos etc up there for too long.

Thanks guys, I'll notch the settings up a bit when I get home then.

Seems the big thing is nto avoid the logos then. Is it all logos, or just strongly coloured ones that are a potential problem? What about the whitey/grey logos, are they better or worse than the strong colours?

Cheers. :smashin:

the brightly coloured are worse I should think, but my daughter has been watching all the music channels ever since pw7 arrived and we have had no problems with retention or burn of any kind. It really is a very resillient screen.

new2plasma said:
Can we run DVDs with wider aspect (not sure abt terminologies), which have blank at top and bottom in the initial 200 hours period?

N2P

I have, many times in the first 200 hours, and had no probs.

I did make suer I turned all teh screen saver options though, such as wobble and bright side panels for 4:3 ratio viewing

gunizzle said:
is it actually really neccessary to run in the screen at low brightness levels or is it just major paranoia on peoples parts? my screen turns up today !!!!!!! YYYYYYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Mine does too Waahhhoooooo

Come on Mr Delivery man....

I have made a note about the settings and will run my pw7 in but i dont know if i will be able to wait the 200 hours!

:thumbsup:

enigma2099 said:
If you hold down the volume button on the panel and hit the button under the power button on the remote quickly three times you should see a menu appear on the panel.

Go to SD options and it gives you the number of times the screen has been turned on and also the number of hours.

Still got a long way to go to hit the 200 hour mark myself! :)

Oh dear I think I'm being stupid :rolleyes:
I finally got into the SD menu (after hitting the Vol - on the remote for 5 minutes and not getting anywhere)

but all I have is a load of hex numbers, Remote A/B and something called
MTB parameter with WT 127 and PT 112.
So where does it tell you the hours/times turned on etc?

I might have had the tv on 127 hours, but I doubt I've turned it on/off 112 times.Is there some other part to the menu ? Sorry if I'm being thick.

Apparently WT is the number of times you have switched it on and PT is the number of hours it has been on - that's what I was told when I asked this question here before!

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom