1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Clock upgrade on DVD player

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Brandon, May 12, 2005.

1. Brandon

Brandon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Given that the DV78 uses a PLL to derive the clock, I'm wondering if a master clock upgrade (an LC Audio XO3 or Audiocom Superclock 3) would lead to a tangible improvement in sound quality. Has anyone tried out a clock upgrade and any feedback on improvements?

2. Brandon

Brandon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was wondering if the warranty would be affected by a clock mod? My DV78 is still quite new...

3. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I have been looking into re-clocking my DV29 via the Trichord research route. The following the the (slightly biased) response I recieved when I enquired whether it would be beneficial:

Greg

The answer to your question of can it be done, and will it make the difference, the answer is most definitely yes on both counts. Many people are sceptical about the benefits of upgrading a DVD player as opposed to a dedicated CD player, but in reality, as long as you are prepared to throw a little bit more money at the analogue circuitry in addition to the clock, the results can be breathtaking. I use a very heavily modified Pioneer DV757 as my own player and it regularly outperforms customers dedicated CD players costing £5000+ (unmodified) so I am confident that similar performance can be obtained from the Arcam.

The Clock 4 upgrade is available in 3 steps:

Clock 4 only £200

Clock 4 with standard power supply £280

Clock 4 with “Never-Connected” power supply £400

Each step provides a significant increase in performance over the previous, and prices include VAT and fitting.

In addition, there are a number of other modifications that can be made to the Analogue power supplies, DAC IV buffer, filter and output stages of the player that can also give a significant improvement in performance. This can cost from £25 to £1,000 depending on the level of work done and the grade of components used, and can be tailored to suit your budget and aspirations for the player.

As a general guide, every pound spent on an upgrade equates to an equivalent performance increase of spending four pounds on new equipment (plus the cost of the original equipment) ie: if you spend £600 in total on an upgrade to a player costing £1000 then you would need to spend approx £3,400 on a new player to equal the performance.

I hope this answers your questions and give you some insight into the performance potential of your player, but please feel free to e-mail back or call me if you have any more questions, or wish to make arrangements. (01584 878221) Also, if you don’t mind the trip out, you are welcome to come and have a listen to the modified Pioneer. (work can also be done while you wait)

Best regards,

Colin Toogood

CPT Acoustics Ltd

4. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brandon,
    Your warranty will be void if you make a modification like this.
    I somehow doubt that these clock mods would work anyway. The audio clock in a DVD player is more complicated than a CD player because it is part of a phase locked loop (since it needs to stay phase locked to the video clock). It also needs to operate at different frequencies to cope with different sample rates.
    Also, the DV78 like all Arcam designs already has very low jitter.
    Hope this helps.