Clive Barker's Abarat

J

juboy

Anyone see the interview with Clive Barker in the 'Weekend' supplement of The Times on Saturday?

Very interesting background news about Abarat and with the Disney tie-in, the film *could* be spectacular. Still a long way off though, unfortunately.

Interesting to see Barker now almost regretting being tagged as 'Mr Hellraiser: the future of horror'.

Pity the interview didn't touch upon whether the books were encouraged from Barker seeing what has happened with Harry Potter though...

Didn't read that article, but I'm a huge fan of Clive Barker's books (only ever really liked Hellraiser on the movie front). He wrote a children's book a while ago called The Thief of Always - I really enjoyed that.

Originally posted by Squirrel God
He wrote a children's book a while ago called The Thief of Always - I really enjoyed that.

An absolutely cracking read that, even if it is *supposed* to be for children ;)

'Coldheart Canyon' is also very engrossing, if not what many may expect from Barker.

Originally posted by juboy
An absolutely cracking read that, even if it is *supposed* to be for children ;)
Yup. Think I read it all in the same day it was that good :D
Originally posted by juboy
'Coldheart Canyon' is also very engrossing, if not what many may expect from Barker.
Bought it a few months ago but haven't got round to reading it yet. Have bought and read all of his novels other than Abarat (will buy very soon) and short stories, including the Books of Blood :) Haven't read any of his plays or scripts as I'm not into that sort of thing.

Have to say that as much as I love Clive Barker, Galilee was awful. It was literally painful turning each page to finish the damn thing (I can't NOT finish a book once I've started it). The whole duelling families thing worked fantastically well in the Great and Secret Show (what a fabulous book that is), but in Galilee it just fell apart.

Originally posted by Squirrel God
Galilee was awful.

Maybe not 'awful', but certainly not that great.

I think Barker's stuff works best when it's describing adult themes in an almost child-like manner... after all, Hellraiser's not exactly subtle.

I personally think the realism he brings to the other world he creates in 'Weaveworld' is without parallel, less vast but more immersive than Tolkien.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom