• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Clipsal ulti

ArcAngel78

Established Member
Morning, any of you know Is it within Crestron prodigy's capabilities to control Clipsal ulti dimmer switches?

They seem to have built in rf that can be controlled by remote control, but would it be possible to integrate with the prodigy system in the rest of the house?

Any help much appreciated

vex

Prominent Member
Simple anwser: No.

The RF stuff is all proprietary and can not be interfaced to.

What are you trying to achieve? Mixing Ulti and Prodigy is a bit of an odd thing to do.

V.

ArcAngel78

Established Member
Hi Vex,

Thanks for the response

Now that PMC3 has finally arrived, I'm putting prodgy audio and video in 4 rooms and lighting (hardwired) and blind control in 2 - limited it to main living rooms as have to draw the line somewhere in terms of budget but would like to be able to add the rest of the lights in time. Am doing a complete rewire/replaster of house so now is the time to get any extra wiring in. I have tried to hardwire wherever possible (switches, network points over wifi etc)

Due to start first fix imminently and I just found out M&E had specced Clipsal Ulti as the "normal" light switches in the rest of the house in the main contract. I had asked for nice looking "non knob" dimmers but looks like these are about £150 each so I think they might be over-specced.. I didnt ask for RF control etc.

By my calcs wired prodigy including the switch and its quarter share of a DIN dimmer unit and a little bit of programming would be about £300 (but this would require CAT 5/6 to each switch too?)

So as I see it my options are as follows:

1. Leave as is and have two different incompatible systems
2. Get cheaper "normal" dimmer switches and in future replace with prodigy wireless switches
3. Get cheaper "normal" switches, pay to hardwire for future wired prodigy switches
4. Just go the whole hog for full wired prodigy lighting control now rather than "waste" the interim measure money. (I am already over budget though and trying to cut costs, also not sure if its overkill having everywhere with prodigy controlled lighting)

Thanks

AC

vex

Prominent Member
1. Leave as is and have two different incompatible systems
2. Get cheaper "normal" dimmer switches and in future replace with prodigy wireless switches
3. Get cheaper "normal" switches, pay to hardwire for future wired prodigy switches
4. Just go the whole hog for full wired prodigy lighting control now rather than "waste" the interim measure money. (I am already over budget though and trying to cut costs, also not sure if its overkill having everywhere with prodigy controlled lighting)

With either of these solutions your other limit is only 32 Circuits available off each of the Prodigy controllers.

I would be truly objective over the dimming in these rooms and see if you could do it differently, ie Occupancy Sensors and manual switches etc.

HTH

V.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom