Question Clipping/Distortion In Center Channel

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Phelps87, May 12, 2017.

1. Phelps87

Phelps87
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So here's what's going on. I'm having some trouble and I can't figure out what might be causing it. I have a Yamaha RX-V1900 with 5.1 Polk Audio. Recently I have been getting high amounts of distortion/clipping with vocals out of the center channel. I say center channel and not the speaker because I replaced the speaker and it carries over to the new speaker. I have tested it, and it only clips/distorts at volumes beyond -28 db. I usually watch movies at -18 db but the center can distort and crackle at points throughout the movie during dialogue. The thing about it also is that it will happen at the exact point at the exact time in each vocal. This made me think that the frequency or level that exact spot in the vocals is hitting, is more than what the channel can produce. If I rewind, it will happen like clockwork at the same spots. I'm stumped. Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. CableGuy

CableGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +414
    Hi there,
    Could you try one of your other speakers on that channel (ie swap left or right with your center channel) to confirm if the speaker or the amp is at fault? If another speaker still distorts when acting as the center channel then it could be an amp issue.

3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,702
    What is the ohm rating of the speakers?

4. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,133
    Specifically what is the model number of the Front and Center speakers?

Have you run the Set Up program?

Have you tried Resetting the Amp?

Is the system set to SMALL?

Try simply swapping the speaker wires so the Left Amp Channel drives the Center speakers, and the Left Speaker is now the Center Amp Channel. If the problem follows the speaker wire, and by that I mean the Left Speaker (now connected to the Center channel) sounds distorted, it is probably the Amp that is the problem. However, if the actual Center Speaker still sounds bad when connect to the Amp Left Channel, that is a sign that the problem is likely the speaker.

Left Amp ====> Center Speaker
    Center Amp ==> Left Speaker

But before you jump to any conclusion, Reset the Amp (instructions should be in the owners manual), and then re-run the Set Up Program.

Oddly, sometimes AV Amps just get confused, and a Factory Reset can pull them out of it. Once Reset, you then need to run the Set Up program again.

If the problem persists after this, then very likely it is a bad amp or a bad speaker depending on the results of the test.

Steve/bluewizard

5. Phelps87

Phelps87
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The center is a Polk TL Blackstone. Nothing fancy, but it works. Not sure of Ohms but specs are as follows.
    • frequency response 125-20,000 Hz (-3dB)
    • sensitivity 89 dB
    • handles up to 125 watts
    • 1/2" silk dome tweeter
    • dual 2-1/2" Dynamic Balance™ mids/woofers
    • aperiodic tuned rear port
    • 5-way binding posts
    • keyhole slots for easy wall-mounting
    • threaded inserts for use with optional stands or brackets
    • curved enclosure with high-gloss finish to match today's flat-panel TVs
    • weight: 4 lbs.
    • 15"W x 3-15/16"H x 3-7/16"D

I have already replace the center with a new speaker and the distortion/clipping carried on to the new speaker. I haven't tried a receiver reset yet, I will do that tonight and see if that helps.

Attached Files:

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,702
    The load is 8 ohm on your centre. That should rule out a problem caused by the speakers loading on the receiver. Speakers under 4 ohm or 4 ohm being driven too hard can cause overheating, however this does not seem to be the cause.

7. Phelps87

Phelps87
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alright Ladies & Gentleman, Here's what I have figured out. I did a bunch of test last night and figured out what's going on as far as I can figure. So I found a video clip that distorts every time and I first switched the center speaker with another speaker, and the results were the same. Distortion with the vocals. Sounds like the speaker is hitting overload and about to pop. So then I realized it might be my receiver. So I did a factory reset and set it back up. Right off the bat I notice a huge volume output increase. I usually watch movies at a comfortable volume of -18db, but after the reset that comfort level was at -26db. So naturally I assumed it might have been fixed. So I tried again and no luck, still distorted. So I took that same video out into my living room and tried again on my living room setup with my Stereo setup and Marantz Receiver. And Boom, no distortion/clipping at any volume. So I thought, it has to be my Yamaha then. So I went through all the work and swapped out my Marantz with the Yamaha and in the Theater room, I calibrated the Marantz, believing I have solved the issue, I listened to the same clip, with my Polks on the Marantz and DISTORTION all the same. Now it is safe to mention that the speakers in the living room can take a lot more power. So I have come to the conclusion that the speakers in my theater room are just not strong enough or something like that. They are definitely not blown, they just distort when some vocals push out to much. I just need to get new speakers or if anyone can think of any other tricks, I would love to hear them.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,702
    It could very well be that your speakers are simply not up to the task and cost, quality and components has a lot to do with performance. Your receivers are simply outperforming the speaker package. Time for an upgrade perhaps?