Clipped Audio Tracks

Kreeep

Okay. I've come across this a few times when examining audio tracks for films. Is there a good explanation for what I see below?

Kill Bill Vol. 1 16-bit L-PCM 5.1 from Blu-ray:

KB LPCM.jpg

Kill Bill Vol. 1 DTS 5.1 from Japanese DVD (Ignore extra length. Due to it being the uncut version of the film):

KB DTS UNCUT.jpg

Practically the same audio mix, with the volume cranked loud enough on the Blu-ray to cause clipping. I have discovered a 24-bit DTS-HD MA 5.1 track on another Blu-ray without any clipping, as it appears to be a different mix altogether.

I heard years ago that many people had an issue with Tron Legacy when it was first released on Blu-ray, so I decided to take a look at a later release with a 7.1 DTS-HD MA track and it seems they may have just used the previous clipped audio track and lowered the dB on it slightly, bar the rear channels, which clip:

TL.jpg

Is Audacity just reading these incorrectly at all? If not, how common is it that audio tracks on Blu-rays and 4K UHD discs get the dynamic range butchered due to clipping? I heard Disney crushes the DR on the audio mixes on their 4K UHD discs also.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom